Linux download is missing script(SetupToolchain.sh) as mentioned in documentation for Compiler toolset

I have been trying to debug a plugin and ran into an issue while setting up VSCode as my IDE as per the instructions provided in documentation of UE5.1.

Setting up VSCode in the section Compiler Toolset for Linux step 2 mentions the script SetupToolchain.sh which is missing from UE5.1 downloaded zip. Moreover, the mentioned script is also executed by Setup.sh location for them is mentioned as Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/.

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @LolMandar ! I had the same problem, you can find the script in the UnrealEngine github repository here

If you cannot access this page you should connect to your github account (or create one if you don’t have one) and join the the epicgames github oragnization. You can follow the steps here to link your github account to your epicgames account.

I hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:! Have a great one!

3 Likes

I don’t have that file either and I’m also missing the BuildThirdParties.sh which is mentioned in Setup.sh and seems to be necessary to get svn working?

5.3 is out now, why haven’t they fixed this?

1 Like

Just get it from github.

Also, in general, when developing on Linux, you’ll eventually end up building from source, anyway :slight_smile:

I know you, personally, are being helpful here, and thanks for taking the time for that.
But the response in its totality ISNT really…
If we are meant to ‘build from source anyway’ then why do the official docs tell us we can download the prebuilt zip?
Having already done that (as per the docs) a 22gb zip no less, I am now supposed to download the entire sourcecode anyway?
Because we can’t easily download just the linux script folder from github without downloading everything in the repo. And downloading just the missing script leads you to find that it depends on another missing script, etc, etc, which is just tedious.

It would be nice if someone from Epic included the relevant scripts in the zip as the docs expect them to be, and/or update the official docs to tell people working on linux they MUST download the source and not waste time with the prebuilts, if that is indeed the case; because as it stands now, the official docs are wrong and wasting people’s time.

1 Like

Yup, it’s important to give the feedback. It’s a constant struggle between “this is the thing that actually works” and “this is what would be better!”

i agree. it’s completely mind numbing how bad their docs are

The Linux getting started documentation seems to assume you are building from source. If you have downloaded the binary you don’t get SetupToolchain.sh because the binary includes a bundled toolchain.