Linux 4.26.2 after source compilation black screen in unreal

I use ubuntu Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS .
I have applied:
git clone --single-branch --branch 4.26 https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git
…login…
… pwd …
cd UnrealEngine
./Setup.sh
./GenerateProjectFiles.sh
make
When i launched unreal with a blank project : i get a black screen blinking on the top in the visualization window . If i use the view mode “unlit” i can see the decor. If I reuse the view mode “lit” gain I get a black screen again.
How to solve the issue ?

1 Like

could you post the log file located at ProjectName/Saved/Logs/ProjectName.log ?
according to your gpu was propietery amd or nvdia drivers installed ?
Are you using wayland?
Were you able to create a project using the new project wizard?

1 Like

For your information : I have used until now unreal 4.25 on my linux laptop : it works well, no problem.

=> could you post the log file located at ProjectName/Saved/Logs/ProjectName.log ? see links below
MyProject3.log (214.3 KB)
MyProject3-CRC.log (11.8 KB)

=> according to your gpu was propietery amd or nvdia drivers installed ? see link below
graphics.pdf (31.1 KB)

=> Are you using wayland?
No

=> Were you able to create a project using the new project wizard?
Yes I am, but see the link below
unreal-4-26.pdf (860.1 KB)

1 Like

I too had crash every 5 minutes on 4.26.2. It is also very slow compared to 4.25. So it would be better if you can stay on on 4.25.4.
I would suggest to skip 4.26 and go to 4.27 or 5.0 when those have ‘release’ versions.

I could not find any reason for engine to exit looking at the log. One thing you can try is to install the 471 drivers in from the ubuntu repository on your system. Ue4.26.2 has black listed drivers before 460.

1 Like

Thank you very much Sam,

you give me the clue to solve it . Unreal 4.26.2 is working properly now.

In fact I have just upgraded the drivers install on my PC and after installation of the last NVIDIA drivers Unreal 4.26.2 works.

Below the procedure apply on Ubuntu 20.04.02 TLS if people have the same issue :

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo apt autoremove
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

Now I have these drivers installed : NVIDIA Corporation GK208BM [GeForce 920M] / GeForce 920M/PCIe/SSE2.
Previously I have : NV106/MESA Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2)

Kind regards
PhilippeC

:grin:

1 Like