Limit Skeletal Mesh Bone Rotation?

Hi all,

Is there a way to limit the rotation that a particular bone in a skeletal mesh can experience? I’m trying to make an NPC look at the player, but want to avoid going all horror-moviesque when the player is not in front of the NPC.

I’m currently using the “Look At” node within the Animation Blueprint’s Anim Graph. While I realise I can possibly control the alpha for this to achieve what I want, I haven’t found an easy way to do this taking into account different animations the NPC has. If anyone knows how to do this, that would get me out of trouble too.

Thanks!

1 Like

Look at (hehe) the “Delta Rotator” function in (normal) Blueprints. I don’t think you can do this in the Animation Blueprint only.
Create a socket in front of the hip bone or so, so you always know in which direction your character is facing. Then use Delta Rotator to determine if the angle to the target is > 45 degrees or so and clamp it. Feed this value to your Animation Blueprint and set your head bone rotation.

Thanks for this, sounds like a definite option. I’m away from my dev machine for a few days, but if this works it will solve my problem very nicely.

Thanks!

Did you ever find a way to do it? I’m tryng to solve a very similar problem.