Licensing when using Unreal Editor for level design only?

If the Unreal Editor (and the marketplace assets) is used for level design only, and then the meshes and textures are exported to another custom game engine for the actual game, would that fall under the royalty free creators license?

Don’t think so.
It depends on final use.

If it’s to make a game you sell, you are probably still within the licensing that’s currently avaliable.
(Up to a low tot of sales you owe nothing)

If you purchased the marketplace assets, they can’t tell you what to use them with or how.
They are yours to do with as you please.

Always consider this:
Epic goes around suing minors for cheating at fortnite.

If you aren’t a minor and you aren’t cheating at fortine, maybe they just won’t care :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t know what you would use UE4 for if you’re just moving things to another engine. Just know that any free marketplace assets provided by Epic themselves are not licensed for use with other engines. I don’t know what the terms are for other stuff, but Epic’s content at least is only for use with UE.

The terms for the other stuff don’t necessarily matter.
You are making a purchase, in at least 49 US states that entitles you to do whatever you want with them regardless.

In Europe this should also hold true.

You can refer to this directly.

https://marketplacehelp.epicgames.com/s/article/Can-I-use-these-products-in-other-gaming-engines-like-Source-or-Unity?language=en_US

Thanks for the replies! I was hoping to use all of the (mostly free) marketplace assets to compose a lush forest scene but I’ll have to find another way.

I don’t think that that’s accurate, even though you’re spending money that doesn’t mean you actually own the thing, otherwise you could do things like give them to other people for free or resell it. If you actually owned it then you would have rights over the content the same as if you made them yourself, which you don’t. Marketplace content is different from say purchasing a digital game in that you are planning to use it most likely for something that you will sell which isn’t the case with a game purchase.

The marketplace document has answers to some of your questions. You can read it.

They try and say that you cannot re-sell the item to a different marketplace or modify it and re-sell it on the marketplace.

Realistically they wouldn’t lift a finger if you did.
They’d tell the original content creator to sue you.
And since we market creators aren’t generally made of epic money the situation would end there… With us being upset that you took our stuff but powerless to do anything about it.
Just like it happens all the time with marketplace assets piracy.
Because once again, epic DGAF.
Should become my forum sig. Or something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, because you are legally allowed to share stuff you purchase with whomever you work with (or you couldn’t send out a project made up of marketplace assets to be worked on) it becomes essentially impossible for anyone to prove that it was a specific account/person that “stole” stuff and re-sold it.

You start to get into copyright law stuff when you want to sue for infringement and takedown of content, and it becomes increasingly expensive to “protect” your products.

Right, there is a difference between what laws exist and what is realistically enforceable. As far as giving advice if someone was asking if it’s OK to use something in a way that’s against licensing terms I would make sure they know that while it’s unlikely it’s still possible that legal action can be taken, because it does indeed happen from time to time.

I never said “go ahead and break the TOS”, I just pointed out that because you made a purchase you are usually free to do with what you purchased as you please.

There’s exceptions to that ofc.
Perhaps you recall the FBI piracy warning on VHS for instance.
This is actually kind of a similar situation if you will.

You can alter, change and use your product, but you can’t necessarily show it to an audience as “a better version”
Which to be honest, one could do for ohsomany shoddy movies by just editing them correctly…
And if you do, you better not charge any money or you’ll definitely find not only a suit, but the FBI knocking at your door.

Unfortunately our products do not enjoy the same type of protection - and probably never will, just like the FBI doesn’t necessarily knock at your door when you post clips of a movie on YouTube…