Download

[LFW UNPAID] Certified Scrum Master for agile team coaching

Without the jargon
In Scrum, work is done in small teams where everyone has the skills needed to make a thing. The work is planned for short cycles, called sprints. Typically, only 1 person decides what work is most important and what should be created first. However, only the developers can say how hard something is, how long it will take, and how it will be made. Clarity on why something should be made or what the something needs is given by the one person who decided the priority. This clarity becomes a goal and used to make sure a thing is made to that goal.
Work is done collaboratively among all developers with time for retrospection on the work and processes. Impediments to progress and potential improvements are examined ASAP and implemented as soon as possible. Quick reactions to improvements or removals of blockages helps keep forward momentum in development.

What is Scrum?
Scrum helps people tackle complex problems while also helping maximize value of work done. Scrum is also designed to be lean, helping cut down on wasted effort through value prioritization. With Scrum, work is broken down into small sprints to be tackled in strictly defined terms. Each sprint moves the project forward.
To developers who have heard of Agile, Scrum is simply a version of agile development.

What can you get out of Scrum in game development?
• Time management upgrades
• Better ways to track and project progress
• Consistent progress
• Structured planning and retrospection
• Ways to manage and adapt development problems
• Concrete consensus of goals and objectives in multiple stages

What does Scrum require of your team?
Almost nothing; it will only require your time.

Why am I doing this for free?
I’m trying to develop my skills with Scrum in the real world after recently getting my certification. I have a passion for game development. I love the creativity and the power that different people bring together. In my experience with game dev, problems tend to be founded in a lack of structure, planning, or the strict adherence to the plan. Scrum is a great weapon against those problems.

Skillset:
Certified Scrum Master (PSM I)

E-mail: rob.rodger@spacerat.dev

Additional Information:

• Free or donation if you find it helpful — https://ko-fi.com/criker24
  • Remote only ish.
  • Available in person in the Portland, Oregon, USA area.
  • Mostly available on Thursdays and Fridays + evenings on most weekdays.
  • Can only speak English.

Comments and questions welcome!
Serious replies only please.

If you’re new to Scrum I can give you a few pointers but most folks here aren’t going to get that into it considering what it is and what it does. I do applaud your effort into bringing a Scrum environment into this though… Most would not have that foresight.

It’d definitely be interesting to see more structured approaches applied to Indie dev. So it’d be interesting to watch teams take this approach on over the course of developing a game.

That said, Agile / Scrum has its detractors too. Every so often tech goes through a sort of reinvention to deal with new challenges (some of which is genuinely new and some which is just old ideas rebooted for profit). So overall, new paradigms aren’t always all that new. :wink:

Agile / Scrum has been around long enough that its probably overdue some reinvention. Especially, with all the meltdowns / breaches / hacks / security issues development teams face now, new approaches are needed to working and thinking about problems / solutions. :thinking:

It’s not Agile that sucks, and dragging programmers down. It’s the inability of programmers and business people to understand each other… Sprints are utterly ridiculous ways to produce software… Businesses could buy into the illusion that Agile is a tool you can buy, and vendors were happy to profit… The word ‘agile’ has been subverted to the point where it is effectively meaningless, and what passes for an agile community seems to be largely an arena for consultants and vendors to hawk services and products.