[LFW PAID AAA] Zach L. - UE4 Generalist with focus on UI, Networking, Frameworks

Contact

Email: Zachary@nonlocalitysoftware.com
Discord: ASCII#1124

Brief

I am primarily focused on Unreal Engine 4+5 Programming, with some secondary focuses on Technical Art and UI. I’ve been using UE4 since it launched publicly in May 2014 and have adopted UE5 since launch as well, and have been self-taught and motivated to make amazing games. I’m currently the project manager for Bionicle: Masks of Power and doing Contract work.

Technical Skills + Accomplishments

Languages: C++

Software Experience: UE4/5, Blender, Visual Studio, FMOD, Perforce, Adobe Photoshop, Houdini

Physics Programming: Created advanced grappling hook with wrapping physics, ledge climbing, wall running, Donut-shaped Gravity, localized physics volumes

Gameplay Programming: Created systems for Saving/Loading + Elapsed time between saves, GAS-based gameplay, Online Lobbies and PVP modes, Halo-like Vehicles, Player Bots

Technical Art and UI: Automatic UI Navigation for Gamepad + Keyboard, Button and widget Style Tables similar to CSS, Created AAA-level tools, Seeded PCG systems

Misc: Artist and level design tools, Shader/Material programming, Advanced and stylized UI

Soft Skills: WFH experience, managing large and small teams, documentation, guides, task planning/management, QA

Previous Project Experience

Identity (PC) 2018

Link: Steam

Roles: Technical Artist

Software: UE4, Blender, SVN

Info: I was brought on as a contractor for several months to help the character DCC pipeline and to work on IK implementations. I also helped with Material set up and import.

Farmtale (PC/Mobile) 2020

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzTj6Q1zgI

Roles: Systems Programmer, Finisher

Software: UE4, C++, Perforce
Info: A clicker-style game centered around farm mechanics and a fun pirate theme. I was brought on towards the end of development to create the saving/loading system that accounted for passive farming in between play sessions. I also had to work on the calculus that the clicker game relies on, stretching the upgrade curve to a more desirable play time.

Bionicle: Masks of Power (PC) (2017-2024)

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ431BwUpFc

Roles: Project Manager, Lead Programmer, Technical Artist

Software: UE4, Blender, VS, Perforce, Trello

Info: A 3D action-adventure Open World Game. Totally fan made, the project runs on volunteer work and organization. We have a team of roughly 35 active monthly users, and I manage most of them along with my department leads. It’s a AAA quality production with gameplay to match. I focus primarily on the gameplay and frameworks, and implementing unique iterations of UI and the characters. I was also responsible for much of the game’s design.

A Garden Witch’s Life (PC) 2021

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkWuqIwk_yM

Roles: Programmer, Technical Artist

Software: UE4, Blender, Git

Info: A wholesome and magical game focused on farming, mental health, and magic! I helped this project for about a year under contract helping with the crafting, farming, and UI systems. I created and implemented my own UI manager for this which is now used in several projects. It allows for KB/Gamepad navigation and is mostly automatic.

Quest Education (PC) 2022

Link: N/A (Check Portfolio)

Info: An MMO-Education platform currently in development privately, I created a system that allows students and teachers to upload and share a PDF document to a 3D presentation screen using Azure services.

iRacing/Monster Games - “NASCAR 2025” (PC, XSX/S, PS5) (Working Title) 2022-2024

Link: Announcement

Info: Details under NDA, but I provided custom in-engine tools for environment and game designers as a Technical Artist, and created a system for Seeded Procedural Content.

Ringworld Alpha (PC) 2021-2024

Link:N/A (Check Portfolio)
Roles: Project Manager, Lead Programmer, Lead UI designer, Multiplayer Designer
Info: A remake of Halo: Combat Evolved using UE5, the project aims to take the classic experience and bring it to a more modern implementation with feature parity to Halo 3. Features functional Matchmaking PVP with Bots

Portfolio

WIP: Bionicle Masks of Power UI

I was responsible for the implementation and partial design for all UI elements seen here, along with most of the game frameworks and combat

WIP: Ringworld Alpha (PLEASE - DO NOT SHARE SOCIALLY)

A small project I’m working on in my spare time is a recreation of Halo: Combat Evolved, and this showcases programming and Motion Design work that is 100% mine. The UI framework and Gameplay implementation here is all mine. Menu design is recreated accurately from Halo 3. Game Art assets and Art Direction were directed and managed by me.

WIP: Super Cubiform

A small project I started solo a few years ago, everything is mine, done from scratch.

2 Likes

Hey Zach - tried to send you an email regarding a paid role we are hiring for but your email address didn’t work. Are you open to contract or full-time work?

Thanks!
hello@salvosoftware.com if email is easier.

1 Like

Hey Zach - can you try from a different email? we hit reply to your message and it gave us another dns error domain not found.

Sure thing.

Available again for work!

Hi!

We have a job open at our company, it’s a bit different from what you have worked on so far but, if you’d be interested in developing a VR system for a show all in unreal then contact me in clara@singleframe.co.uk

We’d love to work with you!

1 Like

Available for work again!

Still seeking work, looking for gameplay programming, tools development, QA, UI, and Niagara positions!