Levels

Hi guys,

Am I right, that streaming level are loading the next level before the player needs it? In this case, will the player be able to see, ex landscapes before the load - like it are done in many games? Or how should I do it?
Im currently just on a fun project - and I want the player to be able to see the next level without a blackscreen or anything. Are streaming levels the way? And does it cost much performance in UE?

Thanks!

Level streaming is a way of loading more than one level at once.

So you can be walking around level A, and load level B at the same time. It’s up to you if you make it visible straightaway, or not.

As for performance, if it’s a big level, there will be a hiccup when you load it, even if it’s set to invisible.

You can also look into World Partition. With WP, you can just make your game in one big open world and let the engine handle the streaming. It really depends what kind of game you’re writing.

Im currently using blueprints. In my mind i visuel some kind of Call of duty. One level - and cutscene. New level ect. Which kind of thing should I use? I really tried to search Google - came to page 10, I gave up xD
Im really confused about This level thing :s

Thanks!

One more question:

Will streaming level do anything for the performance either good or bad for the player?

When you say ‘cutscene’ you probably mean, level without player control, right? Then it is just another level.

If you mean a movie or something, that doesn’t really take any loading.

So whether you want to go for level → loading screen → level or level → level, both are in fact streaming :slight_smile: Yes, the loading menu is using streaming to get the next level.

Streaming isn’t bad or good for the player. You have to load so there’s no much you can do. Like I say, in blueprints, although you get to say when the level becomes visible, you don’t have any control over the streaming.

If you want to be able to feed the next level in secretly so the player doesn’t notice, you’ll need C++ to get total control. But then, if you’re pushing the engine, you probably won’t be able to have 2 levels loaded at once anyway ( one in the background ).

It depends on how big ( how much memory ) the levels use. It is possible to have something that looks like Call of Duty, and just use ‘open level’ to get the next level. That would give you a second or two before the level opened, but is very easy.

Best thing is to make a couple of levels, and try switching between them with different methods, and see what happens.

Hi,
Sorry for the late respons.
So to specify this:

I have a Level where the player rides through a forest. He reaches a waterfall. After the waterfall a short cinematic view will appear, and the new “map” will be on a ship in the ocean. Will this be the streaming level?

So bascially: Forest → Cinematic → Ship
Will this have the same “persistent level”? So I basically create a level with the forest. And then create a new level under the same persistent level with the ship? So all the levels will be visible if i dont hide them? I hope u understand >.<

Or is it like… If I choose “New level” a new persistent level will be made. So the new level will be a new “map”
So first Persistent level → Forest
Cinematic view
Second Persistent level → Ship
And it will all be under the same project - and I have to use blueprints to connect the levels and cinematic views? :slight_smile:

For this example, you would need just ‘open level’, I think.

The vid would open instantly, and most people are ok with a few seconds after the vid.

Streaming is for when you want to give the impression of everything being one large object.

Like I say, for this example, you don’t really need it.

As far as the persistent level goes, there is only one. There not much point in having more than one, because the persistent doesn’t contain anything.