Level Streaming - Things that I can't understand

Hello everybody !

I’m trying to do a game project where I have this big Island (created in world machine) of about 10 km diameter… I’ve read a lot of things on level streaming and stuff but there’s a few things I don’t understand.

For example, shouldn’t the landscape be persistent ? Because in my case, you have visual on half the island most of the time, so if I cut off my landscape into small chunks, wouldn’t it be weird to have only the next chunks loaded ?

Also I’ve already tried to import a tiled landscape in world composition, but then I can’t get it painted (I mean manually, I can assign a blended material to it and it works, but I can’t paint it)… How could I do that ?

And do you know what best side it would be for a standard chunk to have ? I chose 2017*2017 but I have absolutely no idea if it is enough, too big, or too small !

I’m quite confused because I don’t know where to start, to make things easier for the next step… I’ve already done quite a work on other parts of my future game, and I wanted to do a bit of level design, but I feel like it’s a thing you’ve got to do properly right from the start… and it’s hard to know if you’ve done good ! I mean I would know if I did something wrong only when it’s too late and then I’d have to start back again from the beginning of level design…

Thank you very much in advance,
:slight_smile:

P.S: I’ve googled my questions and I’ve seen most of the post about level streaming on unreal engine forum, but I still don’t have the answer to my questions…

(sorry for approximate english)

I think 4k is the largest your composition levels can be. I always start with a procedural landscape material as a base, then use that with a landscape layer blend in order to do landscape painting. This gives me a base, then the ability to customise portions of my terrain.

As for level steaming, you can load multiple levels all at once. If you notice a performance hit, try loading them with loading volumes as triggers. The key here is to be clever with your positioning of the different tiles. Place partitions like mountains or skylines so that they block the unloaded portions of the level.

I have an 8k map broken down into tiles that I’m able to load all tiles at once on, with minimal performance drop. Just make sure you cull and unload everything on the unused tiles, so you’re not using resources for no reason.

I have absoulutely no idea about level streaming…but if you have performace/knowledge/Engine-related issues with many chunks…that´s why we have fog in Open World Games :wink:

Thank you very much for your replies,

I know 4k is the largest, but do you have any idea of what side would be the best compromise between performance and not too much tiling ? And I must be missing something obvious, but how do you use the painting tool on a tiled landscape ? I can’t get it to work… I just don’t have access to the painting tool when I’m using a tiled landscape !

And I’ve heard of some techniques that involve having a low-resolution landscape in background and loading the different high-res chunk when you get closer… Any idea on how to do that ?

Oh ok thank you, but how do you manage fog in UE 4 ?