Level Streaming and RAM v. video memory

In leveraging Streaming Level Volumes strictly for performance, I’m trying to right-size polycount and size/number of texture maps per Streaming Level. When Stats reports I’ve eaten up 5.5 GB in memory (.7 GB for textures and 4.8 GB for about 30 M tris) is that for system memory or video memory or both? I’ve read in one post that UE4 is talking only RAM (system), but then here are two facts that indicate otherwise. My PC has 16 GB RAM, and with nothing else open if I try to load more FBXs UE4 crashes. With System Resources open to monitor system memory usage and with TechTool open to monitor GPU memory usage (GPU has 6 GB), I actually see both thresholds pushed over the top. System memory gets to 90% or so and GPU memory is right at 5.75 GB when UE4 crashes - with a message that UE4 ran out of memory.

Why would 16 GB RAM not be enough to hold 5.5 GB of tris and textures while adding the next 3 GB chunk? And if the camera is pointed away from any objects into the void, why would GPU be tapped to load everything into GPU RAM? I see GPU Usage down when the camera is pointed away, so does GPU RAM load everything it’s directed to according to the draw calls, but only draw it to screen when the camera sees things?

I’ve yet to invoke load and unload TriggerVolumes, don’t understand if unloading a Streaming Level unloads it from system memory or video memory or both.

If based on my 16 GB system memory and 6 GB video memory somebody could tell me what my budget is for tris/texture maps per Streaming Level, then wouldn’t that make my testing simple; with just that Streaming Level visible, if I get acceptable frame rates I should be good to go. Yes?

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

I have the same issue.
When I add more SubLevel into Persistent Level and COST MORE VRAM.