Level missing after a unexpected restard

Hi everyone,

Today i was working on my proyect and suddendly my computer restart, i have activated the autosave and i saved manually before the shutdown, like 2 minutes before, when i open unreal again the level i was working were missing and in the Content Browser in Unreal is gone but in my windows explorer its ok.

i have the two main files(i think) and a lot of autosaves and back ups.

I’ve tried everything i´ve seen in this forum but nothing seems to work :frowning:

I was working with the 4.15.1 version and i updated to the 4.15.2 when I saw that my level was gone thinking the update could resolve this issue, i dont think that the problem were that because its a small update and before i did it my level were missing too

I already tried this:

1- Try to import the umap and the uasset----- i get this message “Failed to import…unknown extension ‘umap’”
2- Make a copy of the project and delete the CachedAssetRegistry.bin in Intermediate folder
3- Make a copy of the project and delete the Config, Intermediate and Saved folder
4- Create a new project and put MyLevel.umap and MyLevel_BuildData.uasset in the exact same folder(of the original project in the new one) and try to open it from Unreal

And maybe a couple more things but nothing works

I need help please i´ve been working on this level for hours and i dont want to do it again

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Have you already tried to use the autosave or backup files -> just look for .umap files - copy the latest one - paste it into your map folder (in the content folder) - try to open it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried and it works, i have my level back but without materials or textures but i dont care :smiley:

if i had blueprints they would have dissapear too?

i will do a backup every time before closing Unreal

Thanks

Never had the case that a blueprint or any other uasset file has disappeard :wink:
Either always make a copy of your umap file or just regularly save it two times (2 different names) -> then you will be nearly 100% save that it wont disappear again

Alike a savior to strike away the tear,
from broken dagger in the back,
the end was near,
fighters drowning in fear,
you lit the way,
kept end at bay.
And all is kept,
a while to stay…

Psi

Try to rebuild solution in VS and open the UE project from VS.