Level Design tools not quite fast enough, for solo level designers.

See the “add” and “subtract” blocks? click them and they do what you’d expect!

:stuck_out_tongue: It just covers some really basic stuff (was a requested tutorial that I have made for one of my subscribers ^^)

Yes, yes, but that’s the whole point of my post; to have faster, more intuitive, paintbrush-like editing…and never having to click a button or perform a keyboard shortcut every time for each BSP edit :stuck_out_tongue:

Example C(or anything from Cube/Cube 2) is a good real-world example/test of a detail-heavy “block” map, not easy with Unreal, made in ~2 hours:

?v=ZUcs_Cj-hIg

I’m just curious…
Does anyone think that Voxels will become the new big thing in the future replacing Static Meshes and BSP brushes?

I’m all for change in game development, but I have to say that’s a pretty big jump considering most voxel-based games are pixelated at the moment.

~ Jason

But aren’t you clicking or performing a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing in the other 2 you have mentioned? you click and hold, push pull, release mouse button to do what you are asking in UE4, is that not easy enough?

[QUOTE=]
I’m just curious…
Does anyone think that Voxels will become the new big thing in the future replacing Static Meshes and BSP brushes?

I’m all for change in game development, but I have to say that’s a pretty big jump considering most voxel-based games are pixelated at the moment.

There are 2 theories about (possibly more), but I really don’t see it happening anytime soon, if ever. There are many technologies in the past that were supposed to be the future, only to find it either a pipe dream or a tech that could have been the best if a new tech had not come out while it is in development and become the new thing.

I have heard the voxel wars many times over the years, but have yet to see any other major company come out and repeat Carmacks claims (let alone use it to make a game). So really it depends what happens, but even if it turns out great, there will always be other ways of doing it as well. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m fairy sure UE4’s BSP tools can’t operate quickly like I want, but all you need to do to add/delete blocks in voxel editors is right-click or left-click…in full screen single viewport…with no tool boxes open. I think in UE4, you still have to select a BSP brush before you can edit it, right? The entire level is just ‘one big brush’, in these other editors.

You can’t replace art and artists, but the idea is to replace the limitations of texture maps(heavy file sizes) and static meshes(limited poly counts) with procedural data. I don’t see it happening any time soon either, but at least the voxel block games are going strong, and at least Carmack is/was trying to make it happen. :slight_smile: I myself prefer BSP over blocks and static meshes, as you might be able to tell, heh.

It is one big level in UE4, it has a landscape mode instead to sculpt terrain, but you will be clicking and changing tools slightly more often than you do in those videos for BSP’s. But again, it is **** close!
If a few more clicks is what is keeping you back, then use Cube2, but for all of the other things about engine that make it so great, at minimum the pluses and minuses cancel each other out. I really think you should give it a try, you only need to pay $20, then cancel your subscription and keep using it forever (if you subscribe on a monthly basis you get all updates that come out, or you can pay another $20 six months later and download the latest version of the engine).

I really think you should try it out before judging it too much, as it really is easy to do. Plus landscape, it creates a flat plane mesh for terrain, which you can then use modeling brushes exactly like you do in mudbox, to sculpt the terrain as you’d like, so the only bsp’s you would need are for walls and houses, and other above ground structures that you don’t have a static mesh for.

Oh… So you get it forever for $20, and updates for more, I didn’t know. Awesome… :smiley:

The landscape tool doesn’t look any different than previous terrain tools from UE2 and UE3. :\ If you could create auto-tessellated tunnels and vertical cliffs with it, and are not limited to the vertices of the initial landscape plane(if that’s how it works), it would be better. I am thinking UE4 is rather overly complicated, though, especially for folk like me who just want to bash out simple levels quickly. :confused:

If someone could post a video of UE4 BSP editing as quickly/efficiently as possible, that would be great to see!

my problem…

I normally use Maya/Blender to model/uv , but I still find quite frustrating the process to import, position and add materials to the various meshes in UE4.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t see a way to just import a bunch of meshes, keep them grouped into a logical transform hierarchy (i.e. maya groups)
and move or assign materials to these groups quickly. I’m using fbx , and it creates one big mesh for each export with sub-elements (that are non movable or replaceable on the fly) that are not very easy to manage imho. Sometimes you want to assign materials to logical groups that are not based on sub-elements or single fbx imports… just as you normally do on most 3d packages…
if i’m missing some magic trick please enlighten me :slight_smile:

For static terrain (and maybe even modifiable terrain) I would buy that. But for characters, and props, and architecture, and details, not so much.

The C4 engine built a pretty good voxel-based terrain system a few years back, and it’s still going strong. Voxels are great for plains/tunnels/caves/hills/whatever. But the processing and memory required when you need to sculpt specific details “off axis” make them not well suited to details, or things that animate. Triangles meshes will be cheaper for a long time.

Have you seen Everquest Next/Landmark?
I was quite impressed by level of detail and angles engine can handle

No.

Voxels weren’t the future in the 90s, they weren’t the future ten years ago, and they still aren’t not. They are a niche technique with high overhead and limited practical applications.

Modern game development is only like 10 years old… We’re in the baby stages for sure. 3D apps are mostly immature yet, as well. I’d give another 10 years just for the tools to improve to where they all should be, let alone the game tech.

[QUOTE=]
I’m just curious…

I don’t have a problem with static meshes, I just want more flexibility/options for those of us who don’t want to go that far down the pipeline to make quality levels. :slight_smile: If voxels don’t come first, we will have editors that have modeling, sculpting, painting, mapping, etc tools all in the same program…or some easy way to immediately connect assets to the editor(there have been games made directly in Maya, IIRC). Better tools, better integration, and better tech!

You’re too prejudiced.
Check out Everquest Landmark gameplay videos

Bsp have a 3000 years of antiquity.

temple.jpg

Move along!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Some more examples of relatively simple detail not possible(or extremely tedious) with traditional Unreal BSP tools:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent/u/1472042/screenshot_1014712.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent/u/1472042/screenshot_1711852.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent/u/1472042/screenshot_2060153.jpg

Well, looks like I found the solution: Geometry tools 2.0! Vote for it here! :smiley:

(Discussed in thread)

Voted.

If UE4 could have level making fast and intuitive, I would be even more amazed.

?v=2rS075Bp-E0

@Smozius I Think that you spend more or less the same time do it with unreal Bsp, and saved a lot of triangles.