Download

[Level Design] Blocking Out With BSP; Questions about Floor/Wall placement

I’m blocking out some rooms that I want to create and I’m running into inconsistent placements of my walls and floors. So should walls be placed on top of the floor or beside it; should I create a separate floor for each room (in, say, an apartment); and if the rooms are next to each other, should the wall be in a gap between the floors or should it be on top of one of the floors? In keeping with the best performance, which would be the best way to go about designing the level? I have two pictures below. Between each picture you’ll see that the first one has the walls on top of the floor, which means a narrower walk space; or to the side of the floor which gives the full pathing space.

There is no rule to that. Do whatever feels best to you. I’d probably do the latter one since then you wouldn’t see the floor from outside the corridor (like from the other side of the wall).

using architectural standards on building “realistic” levels,

the wall should be on top of the counter floor, then the floor on top of the remaining space on the room.
since you are using the counter floor as the actual floor, the walls should be on top of it :slight_smile:

Oh I see, I would probably go with the latter one too so I could maximize my space

Can I ask what you mean by “counter floor?” And also what you mean by the floor should be on top of the remaining space on the room (do you mean like the ceiling)?

Yeah that was pretty confusing way to write it lol. I’m curious what he meant as well.

Im also new to this engine im used to quake3 engine mapping levels for urban terror to keep it running smootly in that game we had to make sure the triangles count for a map at any point did not exceed 40.000 tris.

Don’t know about the details in unreal engine 4 but i remember the quake 3 engine used detailed and structural brushes so your walls would be structural and small details or models detail meshes.

The structural meshes so your walls would block any brushes behind it so it is not rendered by the engine if you would take some extra time and do it right for that engine you would build it so not to many faces are drawn at one time.

here is an example of how we used to build in the old engine.

http://s30.postimg.org/brmo4zsa5/Untitled.jpg

Idk if its relevant to this engine but the red line is where we would cut the brush 45 degrees so you have a minimum of drawn faces on top comes a brush with a skybox texture/shader that would be Visibility blocking so you can build hulls and shells.
We also only textured the visible sides of a brush for the player so something you are not going to see in game does not have to have a texture on it.

This engine seems more artistic and more capable of drawing more You have to test and see when it brings your system to its knees if it does i guess but how to build a level in this engine is I think up to the artist.