Download

Level Design 101: splitting geometry, removing faces, and subtractive brush issues

I’m still learning the basics of UDK and am looking for some more 101 style tutorials to cover such basics as mentioned in this topics title. I watched some youtube tutorials and googled a bit but I suspect my vocab is not helping in the hunt so here goes a few noob questions:

Is there an easy way to split basic geometry? By split I mean if I create a floor and I decide I want to cut it in half later, how would I do that?

Is splitting geometry a recommended method?

Is there a way to merge simple geometry?

How can I remove a face from a cube but not end up with the weird “invisible perspective”. I know that sounds really stupid. I’m basically wanting to create something like a box without a lid. It will actually be the opening of a fireplace. If I just remove one side the perspective gets really weird.

Finally, I’m having some issues with the subtractive brush. It seems like it doesn’t work on some of my walls. Or, if it does work it will only have a partial affect on one side. What causes this?

You should not be ‘making’ much of anything in UE4 or UDK. BSP brushes are not anywhere near as efficient as models made in a real modeling package like Blender or Max. You still have to convert it if you even want to get close. Look at the examples and turn off ‘Static Meshes’ (those made outside of Unreal) and you’ll see 90% of the level disappear. Nobody models in Unreal. You’re asking to learn to do something that you might as well learn in another program anyway. That having been said there is a geometry ‘mode’ in the upper left hand corner that does what you’re asking.

Well that’s bad news :frowning: Not really wanting to be a heavy 3d person anyway just looking to get a feel for things. For giggles I may try and finish off this first little project of mine as editing the BSP’s doesn’t seem too bad. As someone else told me I can always convert the BSP objects to mesh’s so I’m not too concerned with that at the moment. What I’m wanting to do would seemingly be simple tasks in a basic 3d editor, so I’d still like to know how to do them in unreal still. Split, merge, and delete geometry faces without occlusion culling effects.

Hi Myoelectric,

I’d suggest going to this link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE -This is all UE4 Video Tutorials then start with the “Intro to Level Design” series. The intro is long and gives an overview, but videos 1, 2, and 3 jump right into what you’re trying to achieve. Also, BSP’s are fine as long as you’re just playing in the editor. When you package a game, however, these assets will cause a significant reduction in frame rate. However, as you’ve mentioned, you can always convert your BSP’s to static meshes if you like that workflow.