Lets Make: Weapon in Blueprint from Blank Project

I’d love to see a video of what you have so far if you have the ability to make one!

Oh wow thank you a lot. Just getting my feet wet in Blueprint. This is very helpful guys thank you so much for sharing

What I found to be the best way to manage weapons is setting everything on the character and just use a pawn with the weapons mesh as a trigger to set character has weapon to true. So on your Character Components put all the weapon meshes and set to hidden in game. When the Character hits the Weapon Pawn you just destroy the pawn, set has weapon to true, unhide the weapon, and use preset arrays to hold the weapons stats such as ammo, projectile type, reload, etc.

Ok here are my blueprints!
So you need arrays for each assets the weapons use. Each weapon pickup as a number to correspond to its array variable. When you pick up the weapon you trigger two actions, one for the weapon and another for ammo. The ammo is separate so its easy to make ammo pickups.

ON THE WEAPON
25f4178bf2b0ec329590926eee24142177cab613.jpeg

EVERYTHING ELSE ON CHARACTER
e43516aedd10fb78de9336b0ed486a9b70b01d8e.jpeg

460f583844b46c78ccf342a39faed48287742b9e.jpeg

Picking up a new weapon will always equip it. If you have the weapon you simply get its ammo.

577ce739e612aa450b0b111d8c4772b24bd226a0.jpeg

902dec24c4de72d081a9af466970bcf587238d7c.jpeg

And finally to switch between any amount of weapons you have preset (mine is 10) with the mouse wheel. And you just have to duplicate and reverse the math to make mouse wheel down as well.

e3a95a3baf8cf019fab5c7ba63018544d0cc8f45.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Good Job man ,

IMO its best to have the items/ weapons not setup in the pawn , because imagine fallout or skyrim , they have like 10 000 items and this will be one big fat pawn code , also each time you make a DLC with new items you will need to include this “big pawn code” . where in the case of one master item , you can just add functions (if needed ) to it and put your 50 DLC items and they will just work .

Just food for thought , don’t be mad at me :P.

You are totaly right. My method is only good for a few weapons, but its a simple start. I have tried weapons casting to characters their stats but I had issues with arrays not holding the values (I am possibly doing it wrong). If I figure out a solid and easy way of inventorying mass amount of weapons I’ll update here. Right now my goal its to emulate an old school shooter, fewer weapons.

Hey :slight_smile:
I tried to do this. But how could i call my “Fire” Event from my Weapon Blueprint in my Character Blueprint? I dont get it…
And how could i put the skeleton in my Blueprint?

Thanks heavly!
Sorry if its stupid… Im a Newby :slight_smile:

Go watch this to make a 3rd person character, it will help a lot with skeleton and animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWbd0Wowwnk&feature=share&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gZS5HylO_368myr-Kg2ZLwb

Thank for this shaun. However I have a problem under set equiped weapon. Might be because im a still not very skilled.
You got your weapon mesh I assume (W weapon), and its array.

I cant get my weapon to become array. How did you do that? :slight_smile:

In your last post, did you still use the “weapons within your character”, only hide the pickup and unhide or did you attach the pickup weapon to your socket?

Im kind of stuck here :wink:

thanks for all your help though

It’s pretty hard to find info in this area apart from in this thread but its gone quiet, sadly.

-First screen OP is in the weapon.
-Second screen OP is in the player.

When importing a weapon do you bring the skel mesh of the weapon into the component section of my character and make it a child of the character? I know it can be done but not sure if it’s the correct way to go about it, in regards to dropping the weapon and picking up another etc. It’s unfortunately the only way I know of though.

Thanks.

yeah this is important. I think I get what’s going on with the blueprints, but lost on animation.

Hey! Can anybody explain how to make the weapon fire? Any blueprints of fire event ( or function)?

Just wanted to shout out to Midnight for getting this topic started! And all the collaboration and willingness for everyone to share there findings. Great work and great community :slight_smile:

Does anyone have a melee animation (or more than one) compatible with the UE4 tutorial player skeletons they’d be willing to share?

On the second picture, how does he get the thing that says “fire (target is weapon v2)”???

How do you do the part with “Looking At”?

hey guys I’ve done could of weapons tutorials here: Shooter Game Tutorial: Content (pistol, rifle, rail, shotgun)

they are from scratch using BPs. I’m using Shooter Example assets only - hands and sounds for example.