Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

More realistic shadows

Hello,

I red the whole post and try to do things said in this post. However, meshes look like flying still. How can i get shadows more realistic with below settings? I’m using just skylight with ambient occlusion settings in world settings

anything above 2 on Indirect Lighting Quality
is giving me some crazy irreal baking time, ok… the scene is not that simple

this is a big interior, full of props, with many rooms with windows and artificial lights, there are 7 light portals only on window
i’m going to try a slight increased value to 4 or 5 and see if thing still getting ugly on baking time, with:

Static Lighting Level Scale = 0.15
Num Indirect Lighting Bounces = 100
Indirect Lighting Quality = 2
Indirect Lighting Smoothness = 1.0

i was getting like 13 to 15h for bake the light on production
tried the indirect on 10 and takes a whole day for 0.5 percent on swarm, lol (32gb of ram @2800mhz and i7 5820k @4ghz)

the ini edit wasn’t anything to scary about, i used the @ experiment, and before that i only changed the NumHemisphereSamplesScale = 64

Are the light map resolutions on all the assets reasonable?

from 64 to 1024
2048 for floors, walls, roof

nice setting!

what is the lightmass portals??? i cant found anything lightmass portals:((((

SciFiHallway with my config.

a02ad3307215f49bd1cca6ab67f32c01b2cbc61d.jpeg

Hi, I’m using latest ue4 4.15, are the lightmass portals working, they don’t seem to be contributing to me scene.

Epic Games Japan hold a workshop with a focus on Lightmass named “Lightmass Deep Dive” last year. A Japanese architectural artist, Kenichi Makaya, created Casa Barragan on UE4. And he gave a presentation about making of the scene with Lightmass. Our translators translated the slides for the presentations to English. Actually the presentations were based on 4.13, so some of the information might be somewhat out of date. But I believe their concepts and knowledge of their workflow are very useful and interesting.

Practical usage of Lightmass in Architectural Visualization

CASA BARRAGAN Unreal Engine4
watch?v=Y7r28nO4iDU&feature=youtu.be

SlideShare

This presentation is based on “Only One Bounced Sky Lighting”. Many Japanese artists are looking forward to officially support to multi bounced sky lighting like this thread: “Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting”

We posted another presentation about Lightmass on this thread.
Lightmass Deep Dive Presentations

Unfortunately most of your links are broken!

Oh, Sorry. I modified it.

Awesome, thanks!

Future is bright with the help of multi-bounce.

I was bit late to the party going on here -

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?140006-Lightmass-multi-bounced-sky-lighting&highlight=lightmass

Download the @Luoshuang’s custom UnrealLightmass.exe from the first post of above mentioned thread and replace it in - “*\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Binaries\Win64” with the Original One (Always keep the backup of original UnrealLightmass.exe)

Desperately waiting for @ (I’m planning to reuse the rays from the first bounce for subsequent bounces, so that multiple bounces effectively don’t cost extra, which is an artist expectation with Lightmass at this point) to implement this ‘awesomeness’ ASAP in Engine by default.

Here are my tests -

http:///wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Comparison_02_Rag3dviz.jpg

http:///wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Comparison_01_Rag3dviz.jpg

http:///wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Comparison_03_Rag3dviz.jpg

Differences due to extra bounces are clearly evident from side by side comparison.

Unreal Engine Project (4.15) for the above test scene - Dropbox .

Will be doing some more tests soon with complex projects.

How about the render time? Have you noticed any difference?

Render time was slightly more on the custom exe due to my mistake of not lowering the bounces. Will be doing some more tests with proper settings soon.

I’m getting a strange effect where a few surfaces are showing as though they are emissive, such as the door pictured. Has anyone had similar problems? The lightmap UV’s/resolution is fine. Also:

1. If I turn off environment light (World Settings->Environment Intensity) these same areas show as black even with direct light on them. WTF.
  2. If I increase the size of the door to have about 100 units of thickness, it works, but this isn’t an option for the other objects its happening to.

The base UV’s were wrong (not the lightmap UV’s). I don’t know why this matters but it did.

0d59c5091d49c24c0fa7e4191a2791693cb1aa85.jpeg

EDIT - Its also brightening the materials of the touch controllers in the vr editor

So ive spent the last couple days sifting through all this and all i can say is holy shnacks, you’ve helped massively and i appreciate all the tests you have all done.

But after following this thread ive come across a new issue- i built my scene in production overnight (took a good 1h45m - looking back at the logs) i didnt have any light portals in and i just have a simple set up of a sky light + HDRI + Directional Light and that is it, my Light Uv’s are perfectly fine and there all at appropriate sizes. the issue i got was this

there is no emmisive materials on anything and my light settings are, Skylight Intensity - 1.5 Directional - 15 - min exposure .5 max exposure 1.5

i have the same toolbox on the other side of the room higher than the one shown and that one has correct shading and correctly lit.

I have no idea what the issue is here

i also have my lightmas important box around the scene.

any help would be more than appreciated

The news I have been waiting from Day one when I switched to the Unreal Engine :cool: - Vray for Unreal Engine 4

woow great news , looking forward it .