Let Player Import .FBX File

I was wondering if it’s safe to let players import their own .FBX asset files in the the game to play with…Suppose I can control the polygon/vertices count and overall asset structure. Do you see any danger’s in doing this? And by “danger’s”, I mean engine-based dangers like game crashes, memory issues, etc…

i don’t know that its even possible tbh
i think this is the entrance to the rabbit hole of making your game modable

certainly if you do find a way to do it after the game is packaged you’d have the same risks as if it were in the game originally short of any restrictions like poly count etc

you’d be more prone to crashing with a bad asset yes as it would be gibberish and the game would try and do something with it, best case there’s a system in place to make sure its valid before trying to use it and nothing happens similar to leaving a false branch w no code

I found this plugin though, so I guess it’s possible.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/real-time-import

I guess the issue is more about security.

as long as you can’t bring in a data actor like a bp it would be 100% fine honestly
and even with a bp im fairly certain because its packaged you wouldn’t be able to access the other classes/bp

all your base code is packaged up in a way that it’s not accessible after packaging
programs like cheat engine even can only read the memory addresses to find/alter variables but the user has no idea how that variable is implemented

things like meshes are just visual, where’s with a bp or cpp file you could conceivably access whatever other variable you wanted

Definitely let me know if you try that plugin, could be just what i’ve been searching for with attempting to make my game easily modable

reviews suggests you should look at the documentation before buying it may be a bit confusing to use apparently, always do your due diligence

1 Like