Learning Terrain

Just checked back in and I love where you’re going with this. Really gives the feeling of vastness.

Thx :slight_smile:

Negative i use polygons only.

Will later post some shots of how i went about making foliage. I just had an ok looking tree then the lightning blew out the transformer and no power for 4 hours
Have to redo it :confused:

Noticed some strangeness with how SSS works on foliage. So i read i need to enable dynamic only lighting and then lost my nice atmosphere.
Need to rework lighting. I made a tree but i find it sub par and will work on it. First i need to understand the artistic concept behind making a good tree.

But for now i want to go test a theory i have regarding interactive plants.

81031afe6c0bc3ac1882e3e95e98c636478bd2a4.jpeg

ok so i eased my curiosity and tested the feasibility of doing actual foliage bending. I’m not a fan of the material displacement approach. It looks cheap and i much rather have static objects than faked bending.
This was a quick 5 minute job so yes there are kinks and some jitters.

What i found. Performance impact was null. Due to having a stop simulation. It only simulates when you are in the plants vicinity. Much like the Crytek’s approach. However theirs were as it made use of vertex colors to determine bending limits.
This eliminates the need to go and modify constraint values. Lets all daydream for a few seconds about how totally amazing it was setting up bendable foliage. Ahhhhh.

However… i wont continue researching or perfecting this as Blueprints cannot be painted with the foilage tool. If / when that is implemented i will resume this direction. But for now… it was fun testing it and seeing that it would actually work.

Coming along nice Crocopede. :slight_smile:

Outch, that sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to a tutorial on foliage :slight_smile:

ok i need to get back to mobile dev. Was fun playing around. A week overdue on publishing my 4 mobile titles.
The one game needs a complete overhaul. I was noob, it was my first game and i designed everything in the HUD bp. As a result when i switched to UMG my new hud the game fell apart. Good times.

Anyway. Here is another shot. I think my tree workflow is better now and the results im happy with.
I basically constructed my own Speed Tree workflow except i only use 3dsmax. Makes setting up new trees quick and painless.

Sitting at 5000 vertices and 3700 polygons. which i reckon is a pretty good number. Low enough for usage on lower end machines and overdraw is not horrific

Here is the shadercomplexity which i reckon is satisfactory

Oh yes. Dont worry mate. didnt forget. Will make some tutorials on my vegetation workflow the weekend.

Looking good man.

@Frequia here is a quick overview of how i go about creating the vegetation.
Also i included some general tips on workflow for creating the trees. Because i dont have speed tree.

Hi again.
I changed the topic as i dont feel like creating new threads for everything and this will most like likely serve as an overall WIP. From my terrain progress, to asset creation to experimenting with materials.
One of my biggest fields lacking is materials.

PBR confuses me to death. Anyway. I have worked a little on trying to improve the overall skin of my character and also the material for his shield.
Atm i am greatly unimpressed by my skin material and can hopefully improve it a lot as i learn more.

This was my attempt, and also to see what he would look like in his environment.

Cheers