Learn C++ while learning UE4?

Hey everyone,

I’m a webdeveloper, so I have some programming experience. Mainly Javascript, Python and PHP. Now I want to try and create a game with UE4 as a hobby project to learn more about UE4 and C++.
I’m just wondering at what level you have to know c++ to start making a basic game with some custom code. Is it doable to learn on the fly, or is a lot of experience required to actually make custom code viable.

UE4 makes c++ much more like a scripting language, at least when writing project level code.

So basicly yes, you can learn on the fly and you don’t need to be a c++ expert to write gameplay code.

Generally you should learn a language before trying to make something big in it, though that isn’t exactly what I did. You’re probably familiar with Minecraft. I started coding mods and plugins for Minecraft before I even learned Java, and found that it was a great way to learn. So yes, you can learn as you go, or even learn from using C++ in Unreal Engine. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies,

So far I’ve got zero experience in game programming or modding whatsoever. This will be my first go at it.
I guess I’ll start with some of the video’s here that guide me building a game, and see how that goes and how fast i pick it up.

I think you must begin using blueprint for learning the concepts, functions/api and how works the engine and some basic book about c++ if you don’t known c++ (nothing engine related for begin). That going to be fast for learning engine and game concepts than use C++.

In few months or a year, depend of dedication time or learning assimilation, when you are comfortable with blueprints and working with the engine jump to do small things with C++, your own bp library by example.

1 Like

I Just got the book “C++ Primer” which I will be working through aswell. I’ve got quite some time on my hands the upcommings months :slight_smile:

You probably want this book: Learning c++ by creating games with UE4

I think learning to use C++ (or any new language) by doing is a good idea. Although when we are talking about Unreal I find it a bad idea. Here, without proper knowledge you end up doing silly workarounds and not exploiting the whole language properly. You are also not familiar with the syntax yet , let alone UE’s macros, code style and API (most importantly). Sure, you can go ahead and create a small game in C++ but adding more functionality out of your comfort zone can be a pain…