Launching on iOS device fails randomly

Hi,

Launching my project on my iPhone randomly fails giving me the following error:

LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: Connect: Failed to Connect
LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: Unable to start installation_proxy service!
LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: Install \ Update of “Fusion.ipa” failed with Unknown error 0xE8000084 in 0.00

It happens without any apparent reason, at about every 3-4 launch attempt. Sometimes simply trying again solves the issue, sometimes I have to reconnect my device in order to get it working, and sometimes I even have to restart the editor.

Now, for a day now, it stopped working completely, I always get the error and the only way to test the game is to upload it to my phone using iTunes.

I uploaded my Output Log as an attachment.
link text

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are a few stand-out errors from your log:

LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: Failed to connect to bundle 'com.mentalinstruments.fusion' with Unknown error 0xE80000B7
LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: [DD]  ... File to be written 'C:\Kontur\Fusion\Fusion 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\IOS\Kontur_Manifest_UFSFiles_IOS.txt'
LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: [DD]  ... File to be written 'C:\Kontur\Fusion\Fusion 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\IOS\Kontur_Manifest_NonUFSFiles_IOS.txt'
LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: [DD]  ... Error: Failed to connect to bundle 'com.mentalinstruments.fusion'

LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: [DD] Error: Mobile Device disconnected during run!

Install \ Update of "Fusion.ipa" failed with Unknown error 0xE8000084 in 0.00 seconds

ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: Command failed (Result:1): C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.12\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\IOS\DeploymentServer.exe Install -ipa "C:\Kontur\Fusion\Fusion 4.12 - 2\Binaries\IOS\Fusion.ipa" -device All_iOS_On_KONTUR -additionalcommandline "-SessionId=FD7F48

It looks like there is communication interruptions when writing to your iOS Device.

Here are some things to examine/try:

1. Post your Dxdiag here
  2. Do a map check and rebuild all
  3. Click on the Content folder in the Content Browser and select “Fix up redirectors in folder”
  4. Make sure you do not have processes running in the background while launching to your iPhone
  5. Check/Post your packaging settings in your Project
  6. Delete the Config, Saved, and Intermediate folders from your Project folder
  7. Inspect the iPhone cable, try another if possible

Try these troubleshooting steps and let me know if you continue to get these errors.

Hi , thanks for your answer!

I tried (almost) each step you suggested, but unfortunately it still fails to launch.

1. I uploaded the dxdiag file:dxdiag

2. I rebuilt each of the levels in the game., map check didn"t find any errors.

3. I fixed up redirections.

4. I killed every process on my phone before attempting to launch.

5. My packaging settings:

-Developer with Full Rebuild (tried without Full Rebuild as well)
-Use Pak File and Include Prerequisites checked, nothing else (I also tried to use the Create compressed coocked packages, but it is turned off currently).

6 . Before posting here I did some research in order to resolve the issue and it was advised to delete these folders, so I did so. Unfortunately, it didn’t help, but the color coding of the folders dissapeared in the editor, so a bit of rework had to be done. Possibly, I don’t want to delete these folders, but if I really have to, is there a way to save the file that is responsible for the folder colors, so I can delete the rest?

7 . Unfortunately, I only have one cable, and I can’t acquire another one in the near fututre, but it is pretty new, I never had any problems with it, and I can’t see any damages on it either. My phone indeed reconnects to my PC at the moment of the fail, but this never happens otherwise, even if I have my phone connected to the computer for a whole day.

I hope the information I provided will help, and thank you for any further assistance.

Does this happen with this project only? Does this happen with a blank Third Person Blueprint Project for instance? Please test this and respond.

Hi,

I had a project already created with a valid provision file only containing minimal logic, and I tested with that, without any luck, I received the same error. However, I did not have time yet to test it in the Third Person project yet, I will make sure to do that in the next few days and I will post the Output logs here.

Okay, I was able to launch the third person template project without any issues, so I tried to launch my original project again, and it worked as well. It is really weird, since I didn’t really change/do anything and it was constantly failing before the successful attempt with the template project.

It seems to be working now, but I am not convinced that this won’t happen again, because the appearance and the dissapearance of the issue happened without me actually doing anything.

Is there anything that I can do to find out what the actual issue was?

Thanks.

With the initial error “Failed to connect to Bundle…” and your test failing with valid provision, but working with the BlankThirdPerson project, it would seem to suggest there is a problem with setting your provisions and certifications for your specific problem. Please review the following documentation:

Advanced iOS PC/Mac Workflow

Hi , thanks for your reply!

I forgot to mention that I could package and run my game 10/10 times without any issues if I didn’t launch from the editor (but packgaged and installed it using iTunes), and I did not change anything in my project or on the Apple Developer site when it started to work again (and it was also working before the issue occured), so I am really not sure what caused the problem with the provisioning profile (it says it is valid in the Project Settings).

I was using the documentation that you have provided for setting up my project initially (and I managed to do it without any issues), it only stopped working after the first few launches.

Does this additional information changes anything regarding your previous answer?

If not, what do you suggest trying if the problem occurs again in order to resolve it?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, since we have not seen this type of sporadic behavior before I cannot provide a conclusive solution. However, since it appears to be a registry issue, uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes might resolve the problem.