Launcher install fails on Windows 8.1

Hi, today I tried to install the unreal launcher but evertime i try to install it i got this error:


I have checked my internet connection for about thousand times right now and i also deactivated
my firewall but it didn’t solve the problem. Does anybody have the same issue?

Best Regards

Hi - sorry to hear you are having problems.

Do you have any language packs installed on your machine. Also, what OS language is your machine set to? This might help us to track it down.



The language of my system is set to “German (Austria)”.

Best Regards

Hi, this is the only language on my system.
I’ve attached the Log File.

Best Regards

link text

Thanks for the info.
Is that the only language set on that machine? It would be useful to see some logs. Can you try to do the following…

•	Place the msi on the root of C drive   

•	WindowsKey+R and enter:-   

•	msiexec /i C:\UnrealEngineInstaller.msi /L*V C:\UnrealEngineInstallerLog.txt   

•	Replacing “UnrealEngineInstaller.msi” with the actual msi filename   

And then upload the UnrealEngineInstallerLog.txt

Thanks for the log. We will investigate here to see if we can spot anything.

Hello again. I’ve been trying to find a solution to your problem. It appears that you don’t have a “Users” group in your user accounts. We currently use the SID to find this - which gets the region specific name for the group. But for some reason it is not finding yours. There appear to be some workarounds suggested for other software - e.g. manually adding a Users group. However, we will try and find a better solution. Thanks for you patience.

I just added the group “Users” by hand because on an german system this group is called “Benutzer” now i could
install it.

Best Regards

Heya, can you find the MSI in windows explorer and right-click, go to properties, click details, and take a screenshot of what it shows? We’re trying to track down a possible versioning issue. Thanks!

Hi, here are the screenshots of the details tab.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards

Thanks! Sorry for the inconvenience, but it looks like you have an older version of the msi somehow. Can you try downloading it via the link on the website? You can find the link here: Epic Games

Let us know if that works for you.


Just to confirm - it seems the GIT Hub version of the launcher may be out of date, and doesn’t contain the fix for multiple languages. If you download the msi directly from Epic Games that should fix the issue. Adding “Users” is not the best solution.

Quick heads up: The installers in the GitHub required dependencies files have been updated to the latest version as well. So this should not happen again to new users. Sorry about that!


I would not recommend this approach. By doing so the installer will fail to setup permissions as expected to the folders that the Launcher uses. This could cause problems with self-updating and installing UE4 and Content. The latest MSI from the website has fixed the Users issue and should be used instead. Github has also now been updated with a newer MSI :slight_smile:

It works now thx for the help.

Best Regards