Launcher for Mac crashes randomly on mouse move

Using Mac OSX 10.10.1 with the latest version of the launcher, the launcher will crash if it is doing something in the background and I move the mouse.

I can reproduce it about 90% of the time by:

1. Start a background process such as downloading a big thing like the content examples, or creating a local shooter game from the already downloaded copy in the library.
  2. Move the mouse, especially two finger scrolling on the trackpad.

This usually happens when I start downloading something, and then I start browsing the marketplace. The crash is basically a beachball that lasts forever until I force-quit.

From the UnrealEngineLauncher.log it appears to actually be something to do with mouse movement:

[2014.12.03-21.28.58:546][  0]LogMac: === Critical error: ===
SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x0

[2014.12.03-21.28.58:546][  0]LogMac: _ZN17FSlateApplication21ProcessMouseMoveEventER13FPointerEvent Address = 0x930c295  (filename not found) [in UnrealEngineLauncher-Mac-Shipping]
_ZN17FSlateApplication19SynthesizeMouseMoveEv Address = 0x930c138  (filename not found) [in UnrealEngineLauncher-Mac-Shipping]
_ZN17FSlateApplication4TickEv Address = 0x9300c7b  (filename not found) [in UnrealEngineLauncher-Mac-Shipping]
_ZN12FApplication3RunEv Address = 0x8e29e61  (filename not found) [in UnrealEngineLauncher-Mac-Shipping]
_Z24UnrealEngineLauncherMainRK10TSharedRefI12FApplicationLN7ESPMode4TypeE0EE Address = 0x8e2c3a3  (filename not found) [in UnrealEngineLauncher-Mac-Shipping]

This was happening before I wiped my machine yesterday. After I erased my HD and re-installed OSX and everything from scratch (because of other reasons). Still this error happens, but it’s a clean install.

I sent a few crash reports to Apple, but I figured you aren’t checking them because you have your own crash report stuff that isn’t getting run. So I attached a copy of that in crash_1.txt I could upload the rest of the UnrealEngineLauncher.log if you need it.

Hi smilingrob,

Sorry for the huge delay in response! I’ve been trying to get this issue looked at by developers, but it got lost during the Christmas break. Are you still experiencing this issue with the Launcher? Please let me know if you are. Thanks!

Hey Ben, yes I just got it to crash again doing the same thing, moving the mouse while downloading. It wouldn’t crash for about 10 seconds, so I started alternating between the Learn and Marketplace tabs scrolling with the trackpad, and then I got the beachball.

However this time it didn’t produce the error about a mouse, and instead hung in a “not responding” state for a few minutes before I killed it. While it was not responding I took a Sample of Unreal Engine Launcher in the Activity Monitor. Also I got a list of the Open Files, and finally after force quitting here is the problem report that was sent to apple.

Also while it was “Not Responding” the network activity was at 0kb/s, but the CPU was at 60% for the launcher. However it was not done downloading.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Robert

Hi smilingrob,

Could you follow the 10 steps at the bottom of this link and provide your Verbose Logs? They may help us track down the issue.

Hello Smilingrob,

Max here from the Launcher QA Team! We’re aware of several mouse move related issues on the Mac, some of them Crash related. These issues are known and several fixes are in for them in the next launcher update. Once the new launcher update goes out, Check ans see if these issues still occur. If they’re still happening please respond back to this thread!

-Max B.

I tried to reproduce with the new launcher on Mac and it didn’t crash! Nice work, looks and performs great.

Awesome! Glad to hear you’re fixed and ready to go!

-Max B.