Launcher CPU Load high since submission to Game Jam

Hi all, very strange: Yesterday submitted to the Game Jam on itch.io. Exactly since then, the Launcher now is in top list on Task manager, which it definitely was not before, because I do always monitor my system. The Launcher process is present, but far down in the list normally.

324565-launcher-now-in-top.png

At submission time, it looked strange, because Browser window did freeze quite some time, before displaying the result. And it looked like the launcher did get started during that processing, so there seems to be happened something with the launcher.

Please help, does anyone have similar issues?

For now, I’m just killing the process after starting my system…

hey! i’ve been getting really annoyed and looking all over for the last day or so (since ive noticed the problem) to find someone with a similar issue to me… awesome to find your post - i hope i can shed some light on it! tyvm!

i didn’t submit anything to Game Jam like you did, however upon me performing a normal system rs i opened all the programs that i normally do - including Epic Games Launcher - and have noticed that it is constantly using approx 3-5% of cpu even when the program is minimized to system tray. i notice that when the launcher is opened it uses more (which is fine and it should), then when i click the top right x to minimize it to tray there is literally a second where it goes to 0% cpu (which is what it should do and where it should stay), but then it goes back up to 3-5% and will remain there… i know for sure it was NOT acting like this before, as you mention you monitor your system, so do i… all my other programs (steam, battlenet, origin, etc etc) will literally sit @ 0% cpu usage unless i open it and bring to foreground and do something within it, or its dling an update etc etc… i have tried all the settings within the Epic Games Launcher and cannot get it down to 0% cpu…

(CONT. below NEXT POST too many char for one)

it must be something with a recent update that has messed it up and perhaps others who are not monitoring their systems so closely simply haven’t noticed yet? i have NEVER had this issue before and my system is rock solid otherwise its top end so something is def messed in the program… i have seen lots of posts with people saying they had like 80% cpu use so when they got it down to like 10% thats normal, but no way is that normal, nor is a 3-5% cpu idle when program is minimized to tray… hopefully they fix asap bc its very annoying and plain broken… in the meantime i am just not running the launcher as i dont use it that much for games anyways (so its truly not that big a deal to me, just very annoying OCD lol) and ofc i do not want a constant load on cpu for no reason which increases temps etc…

lmk what u think! hope some others can confirm…pic attached as well… have a good weekend! <3 <3

324605-eglcpu.jpg

Hi, thanks for your thoughts… Looks like this might just have been by coincidence, that an update of launcher happend exactly at the time of my submission. At least, this behaviour is now permanent. After Windows boot, launcher is at around 6% permanently. Killing the process as a workaround. When launching UE4, launcher seems to add itself as subprocess underneath UE4Editor, again now with 6% - killing it from there. Did not find any issues, editor continues to work fine.
Keeping an eye on that and will go to open an issue later.

I opened an issue now via the bug submission form. While everything might work, it is a bug in my opinion, as we should be behave in a manner saving energy if possibe, apart from the annoying blowing of fans on a system, that is idle.
This is similar to my issue with the UnrealDeploymentServerLauncher. In the end, this was accepted by Epic and is solved in the meantime, so I hope, this one will also be handled the same way.
Thanks a lot for helping with this

Exact Same problem here.

Keeping this tab open because I’ve run into the same exact issue. EGL is using 3-8% CPU at any given time, even when minimized to the task bar. For now I’ve disabled startup when Windows starts since I don’t really need it open all the time anyway.

• Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 32 GB 3200 DDR4
  • RTX 3070

Disabling in Launcher settings at startup when Windows boots up is one thing. But also watch for the Launcher starting when opening UE4Editor, and in the end it is running underneath the editor and adding up its load while working there. So, as said, I kill it from there as well.

Same here.
Not sure I’m understanding the responses.
Has this been resolved? or just accepted by Epic as an issue?

Its def not resolved – EPG still uses 3%+ cpu when minimized to tray… no other similar program such as bnet, origin, steam etc etc has this issue so I just don’t run or keep the EGL minimized to tray anymore. Since I don’t play any of their games or use their tools regularly it’s nbd for me but it affects other ppl who use it more and is quite annoying that there is no fix yet… it also still doesn’t seem like there are that many posts all over diff sites about this issue so I don’t think enough ppl are even realizing this is happening…

I already reported this a year ago. Epic knows and hasn’t done anything about it. Others are seeing this too.
This happens on Intel and AMD (I’m on Intel)

this is what they told me about 1 year ago:

I’ve got some good news and our store
QA team has been able to reproduce the
same behavior when an account owns a
lot of content for Unreal.

As of right now, there is no fix for
this as you’ll need to wait for an
update

think of how many watts of electricity are being wasted globally.

Same here! Epic Game Launcher uses 5%-6% CPU all time!

There’s an update to the Launcher available - I did install this one, and it helps. Now at 0.5% CPU, launching as subprocess in Editor, if autostart on reboot is disabled.

A bunch of “EpicWebHelper” Processes is started as well, whatever these are needed for while having the editor open. It’s interesting, that this WebHelper stuff requests WebCam access:

326163-webhelper-webcam-access.png

Basically the problem seems to be resolved. I never did get any feedback with an issue number from my bug report, but anyway, thanks to Epic for solving the issue.

Same here.
I’ll probably keep autostart disabled for now.
Cheers