Launcher Blank in Mac OS X

Hi,

I’ve installed the Epic Games Launcher on two Macs I own. On one, it works fine and I can see all the content. On another, all the tabs basically contain no information. The Fortnite tab shows the background image but no content, the Unreal Tournament tab is just gray with no information, and the Unreal Engine tab is blank except for the news section. Additionally, if I try to use the Marketplace, it states that it’s closed.

I’ve tried installing the Engine (which works fine), but still can’t access anything. I’ve also tried wiping every related file I can find, including the Epic folder in ~/Library/Application Support. Looking at the logs, I can see it’s moaning about a bunch of missing files (using relative rather than absolute paths):
[2015.03.14-11.12.07:341][ 0]LogStreaming:Warning: Failed to read file ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/Slate/Common/DebugBorder.png’ error.
[2015.03.14-11.12.07:341][ 0]LogSlateOpenGL: Could not find file for Slate texture: …/…/…/Engine/Content/Slate/Common/DebugBorder.png

If I check where I assume these files actually are - /Applications/Epic Games Launcher.app/Contents/UE4/Engine/Content/Slate/Common/ - I can see them and they have valid permissions. I’ve even tried opening the read/write access to all users, but still no joy.

Completely out of ideas now, so I’m wondering what I can do next?

Screenshots of the launcher:
http://jamesj999.co.uk/2015-03-14%2011.31.02%20am.png
http://jamesj999.co.uk/2015-03-14%2011.31.10%20am.png
http://jamesj999.co.uk/2015-03-14%2011.31.17%20am.png
http://jamesj999.co.uk/2015-03-14%2011.31.24%20am.png

Log file showing errors finding files:
http://jamesj999.co.uk/EpicGamesLauncher-backup-2015.03.14-11.19.44.log

Mac Specs:
Macbook Pro 17" (Early 2011) with AMD GPU.
OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi jamesj999,

We need to also know the processor, memory, and graphics card for the Mac.

Go to the Apple menu and click ‘About This Mac’

Also, please follow the steps in this link to generate your Debug logs and post them here.

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the response.

It’s got a quad core i7 @ 2.2GHz/core, 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz and has two GPUs (I’ve tried both) - either the onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000 or the dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB.

Here’s a log output with debugging switched on:
Download

Hope this helps!

James

Hi james,

It seems you might have a network issue. Check this troublshoot page and try some of the listed solutions under the “Launcher is unable to download contetnt” section. Let us know if those solutions were able to fix your issue or not.

-Max B.

Hi Maximusdb3,

I’ve tried wiping the launcher and all related files I could find (in ~/Library/Application Support) and re-downloading it all. I’m not behind any proxy servers and I used the exact same network connection to install it on the other Mac which has no issues. I’ve even tried re-installing from scratch on the other Mac and it still works. It definitely seems to be a machine-specific issue for me! :frowning:

I think the machine in question is using Google DNS, so I’ll try moving back to my ISP’s default DNS server when I’m back at the machine and will let you know if that works.

Thanks,
James

Just a quick update - I’ve verified the network settings on both macs and they are identical, so hopefully we can rule out anything network-related.

Thanks, James

This is very strange, I’ve entered your issue into our database for the devs to look at this. I or a dev themselves will post back here with new information.

Would you happen to be running any kind of anti-virus software?

Absolutely no anti-virus software at all!

Thanks,
James

Hi James,
It’s been awhile since we’ve added your issue into database. I wanted to see if this issue you experienced is still occurring in the latest updated launcher. It’s possible that some of the fixes that went in fixed your issue.

-Max B.

Heya jamesj999,

Although there are a lot of content errors in your log, many of those are red herrings and not used for the display of the info you are missing.

The data for the display should be downloaded dynamically, and stored in the following location.

~/Library/Application Support/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Data/EMS/EpicGamesLauncher

Could you let me know what files you see there? I see 421 files, of which there are 72 that start with the name ui_**

It would be worth trying to delete these file caches too by removing the following two directories:

~/Library/Application Support/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Saved/Cloud
~/Library/Application Support/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Data/EMS

Thanks,
Leigh

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for not responding to this sooner and thanks very much for all the answers.

I’ve updated to the latest version of EpicGamesLauncher and am still having the same issue. The only areas that are not blank are Unreal Engine → Library and Unreal Engine → News.

I’ve tried removing ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Epic and /Applications/EpicGamesLauncher.app and reinstalling from a fresh download - no joy.

Swifty, to answer your question, I see 431 files in ~/Library/Application Support/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Data/EMS/EpicGamesLauncher/. (This was by running “ls -la | wc -l” in bash and subtracting 3 for the first 3 ‘non file’ lines in the output of ls -la).
The folder contains 74 files starting ‘ui_’ (“ls -la ui_* | wc -l”, subtract 3).

Hope this helps!

James

Looking at the Learn page in isolation the only time I can see that it might display blank is if it failed to load one of the ui_* files from your EMS directory. If this was the case though we should see a message in the log about, but we don’t.

Can you run the launcher with “-reflector” added to the command line? This will open up an extra window along with the normal launcher windows. It will have a button that says “Pick Widget”, if you click that you’ll be able to hover over the UI in the main launcher window to inspect it’s structure (lots of green lines and boxes). Go to the Learn page hover your mouse in the middle of the page and press Esc. This will lock the reflector window to what ever you were hovering over.

Finally can you expand the reflector window so we can see as much information as possible and send us a screenshot. This should help narrow down what code paths your situation is going through.

Hi Sarge,

Thanks for the response.

I’ve added the screenshot of output of the debugging window and another screenshot to show which area is selected in the launcher.

I hope this helps?

Thanks,
James

The only way for the launcher to get into the state shown by the reflector is if the layout file failed to load. It may be that the file you downloaded is corrupted, allowing us to read the file but failing to interpret it. it doesn’t seem we always write out a log message when that happens.

Can you send me all the ui_*.layout files in the following directory:

Did you try ever try deleting the following directories like Swifty suggested?

~/Library/Application Support/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/Saved/Cloud

Please create get me a copy of the ui_*.layout files before you try deleting those directories, so we can verify what the issue is even if deleting them fixes it.

Hi Sarge,

I have deleted the entire ~/Library/Application Support/Epic folder several times and tried with fresh downloads.

I’m assuming this isn’t an issue because I have a case-sensitive filesystem as I believe you support Linux as well?

I’ve uploaded all my ui_ files from the folder you mentioned, please find them here: Click

I am having what appears to be the same issue with this platform:

• MacBook Pro(15-inch, Late 2011)
  • 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
  • OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

My launcher debug log is attached
link text

Hi guys just wanted to give an update on the situation at the moment. we’ve been testing the layout files you sent us and haven’t had any problems or seen any issues with the files themselves. You mentioned that you have case-sensitivity on and I’m working with IT right now get this setup up to verify if that is cause. I also wanted to let you guys know that we don’t officially support case sensitive file systems for the launcher. It’s possible that this may change in the future but there is no official plan for that yet.

I’ll keep you all posted!

-Max B.

Hi all,
We’ve been able to reproduce the blank tabs with Mac OS using a case sensitive hard drive. As I mentioned before, we don’t support case sensitivity at the moment. That could change in the future though we have no plans set for it yet. You’ll have to install the launcher on a hard drive that is not case sensitive or reformat the hard drive.

-Max B.

Hi - ist this still a problem?

I tried to run the launcher on Mojave 10.14.5?

The launcher seem to have downloaded all sorts of images and so on in in ~/Library/Application Support. It just seems to not loading and displaying them. The launcher is blank.

Kind regards
Carsten