Large World Loading time

I am going to post here as well incase someone don’t visit answer hub.

I am working on a open world game, i have one 16km by 16km landscape that is split into 8x8km tiles, but stiched and world composition removed, as i want my game to be open world multiplayer

with just my map ect the load times is fast, but once i add procedural foliage the load times become forever…

i have a decent computer and will post specs at the bottom, this i without collision enabled, if i enable collision on only LOD0 and disable it on all other LOD’s (i think im doing that right?) then it becomes MUCH longer

right now on my system my world takes around 30 minutes to open in UE, with collision it takes 1+ hour…

and i just want to add it stalls on “initializing world”

(sry copy paste, too lazy to type)

Specs
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full Tower
Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 1440p G-Sync 144hz + ASUS VG278HE 27" 144HZ
CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4.9GHZ 1.235v 67c MAXOC: 5.1 GHZ 1.36v 78c
Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti SEA HAWK 1536Mhz
Cooler: Corsair H110i AF140 Pull
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage 32GB 2400Mhz 10-10-10-30-1T
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 2TB WD Black
Sound Card: Creative XFi F1tality Champion 7.1
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Microphone: Audio-Technica AT2020
Mouse: Logitech G502
Mousepad: Tt Sports Conkor
Keyboard: Corsair K90 Mechanical Keyboard
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
Power Supply: eVGA SuperNova 1300w G2

I just want to add, my FPS in game @ 1440 on epic is around 60, exactly what im aiming for, and i can leave the engine open all day and work on the game, but trying to play the game, takes just as long as opening the editor…

Does the foliage have LODs and possibly Billboards?

My Grass and such is procedural from Aaron’s Advanced wind grass,

the trees are from the open world demo, they have ~3-4 LOD’s each and a billboard, 5-6 total different assets.

also ive noticed, after i play the first time, each time after is fastish, like 30 seconds but that seems fine for the size ect,

also i want to add ive noticed without collision playing after the long load time actually works pretty quick, with collision is the one that takes a long time.

and the collision on the foliage is very minimal basicly one sphere per item.

oh and FPS with collision enabled is actually good too. just the loading times are brutal.

I just want to add, if i build my game with collision enabled, and open it, load time is ~30 seconds and i can play @ 60 fps fullscreen 1440 pretty smooth.

so i dont know why it takes soooo long in the editor, tried with 4.12 preview 1 as well same issue.

anyone have any ideas? i’m 8 months in and my game has essentially stalled… and my game is build around the trees being there, as its a offloading game and i’m building trails. i have already built a few trails and feel like if i delete or redo my foliage i will have to most likely redo or at least re touch up a large portion of work i’ve already done.
every time i click any button in the editor i can have a coffee break… i feel like i’m trying to browse the internet in the early 90’s again.

ive even tried downloading the master branch and compiling it to see if in any miracle it was a issue that has been fixed already. and sure enough its not.

fml… atleast its pretty right? http://i.imgur.com/QjEkuVx.jpg http://i.imgur.com/M3pC8rI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6QxOqo1.png http://i.imgur.com/Vv75Rh8.png

What platform are you targeting? Console/PC?

Those dimensions seems utterly insane to me. 2km square is on par with many other open world games, so 16km seems excessive. How many people are on your team? How are you filling all this space? Are you walking? flying? driving?

Game will be on PC, the size is due to the type of game, its a off-roading ATV/Dirt Bike/Side by Side game, one map, and at 16 by 16 the map is closer to the limit of being too small and if it was 2x2 the game would be over in 15 minutes… lol, i will have to make
alot of trails to consume time, aiming for mmo/ 150ish man servers style.

Its just me developing the game.

with how its setup the frametime is fine and within target, aiming for VR cappable and my frametimes are closeish to vr capable at 1440p (110+ fps @ 2160x1200 high/epic settings), as well as ssd load times
are quite short on the game when i build it out / launch it as standalone, loadtime is around 30 seconds on my pc, however the issue is load times in the editor are horrific.
most of the world is procedural, so the plan is to build out over time.

out of desperation i deleted all my foilage… i resimulated it, and now for some **** reason it loads within 2-3 minutes. just got to re touch up about a month worth of work…

Just my two cents - you will NOT manage to get either proper load times or proper gameplay performance with a 16x16 kilometer terrain. Just that terrain alone would eat up all RAM in an average PC, it’s just insane.

well right now with most place holders for the game in place, ram usage on playtime is around ~3-4GB, load time on built game is around 30-40 seconds, frametimes @ 2160x1200 is around 9.8ms - 10.2ms (100 average fps)(on epic with TAA, 7.9ms - 8.1ms (125-130fps) on “high” no AA).

but thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like