Laptop recommendation

Hey ya’ll, first time making a forum post here. I have a bit of a dilemma. I want a laptop for development while I’m on the go but I am having trouble choosing between which one to get. I have two on my mind. I am deciding between a maxed out Razor Blade 15 or a maxed out 15 inch Macbook Pro 2019. The reason I am choosing between these two is the performance. While I already do have a pretty beefy pc at home. I want a pretty beefy laptop. While I know a Macbook Pro isn’t the best, I want to do iOS Development and I can do sidecar on other apps too. I know for a fact that Unreal Engine would run perfectly fine on the Razor Blade 15 since I am very familiar with Windows, but does Unreal work well on the 2019 Macbook Pro? Would any of recommend this Macbook Pro? Also feel free to add any other recommendations!! Thank you

If you want to do iOS development then a Mac is necessary, while it’s not as good in value it can still work. Also, if you want to, you have the option of installing Windows on there with Bootcamp and switching between them.

I have a RazerBlade 15 with GTX1070. Runs UE4 great. On the downside, my battery started bulging today so had to remove it. Other than that I love the machine.

(That being said, my desktop 2080 Ti blows it away.)

On the other hand - imho the latest macbook pro has significantly weaker graphics. afaik it is integrated Iris Plus 655? Running UE4 on that will be orders of magnitude slower. It will be an excercise in frustration.

UE4 will run on the top of the line iMac or Mac Pro, but even then the experience is about 2 or more gpu generations behind at best.

My advice - If you are developing for mac or iphone using UE4 - use a windows machine (desktop, or razer) and get a mac mini just for compiling.

Well the new 2019 15 Inch Macbook Pro does have a Vega 20 so idk what that would do

I think Vega 20 is way better than the Iris…but have no info. In general, ue4 editor performance on mac has improved quite a bit over the years… although it is still kind of at “poor stepchild” level. Lots of UI quirks and issues. But you could always dual boot into windows (assuming that is still an option).

If you do brave these waters be sure to post your opinions - I have been sad for years over the very poor mac gpu capabilities and am interested in hearing if it changes someday…

Hello all,

What do you think about this spec:

Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch - Pre Owned
15-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core i7 (Retina, 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage, Silver, 2015)
Hardware Configuration: [TABLE=“cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0”]

**Display**
		15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology

**Processor**
		2.5GHz Intel-Core i7 (4870HQ) ("Haswell")

**Memory**
		16GB PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3L on-board memory

**Storage**
		512GB Flash Storage

**Graphics**
		AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2 GB GDDR5 and Intel Iris Pro with 1536 MB

**Installed OS**
		MacOS 10.15 Catalina

With that Macbook if you’re trying to do game development then it will not perform all that great, it’s 6 years old at this point and while it has a discreet GPU it’s not a very powerful one.