Laptop ideas? (Yes THAT question again!)

Well… I’m studying Game Development in UK. I have my desktop to do most of the demanding stuff on (which needs an upgrade soon but nevermind that for now).

Thing is that I want something to do my stuff in labs (can’t stand those PCs they have there) and also for vacation time where I won’t have my PC around.
The laptop will be used mostly for prototyping in UE4. I won’t need shaders/high poly models/huge textures most of the time, but I want to be able to start prototyping stuff/building the basics without much problems.

Other stuff I’ll use it for is 3d modeling/texturing/animation, using programs like Maya/Daz/Motionbuilder/Zbrush (not anything in the billions of polygons, just enough to get a basic high res to bake maps from/Substance designer/painter and photoshop. I’ll also use compilers and stuff but I guess if it can run UE4 it’ll be able to run Eclipse or VS.

The thing is that I have around 1k euros for it (bit more bit less depending on features) and I’d like it to be easily portable (not 5kg alienware), to have a good heat management system (I don’t want it to turn off when testing a level for example) and hopefully to have a good anti-glare screen minimum of Full HD. Good battery is not a must but I’d like it.

I can give more info for the full range of programs I’ll use if needed, just ask for it. I tried to put the most important and heavy programs i’ll use here.

What i’d really like is one of those 2in1 tablet/laptop thingies like Surface, but i’m pretty sure HD5000 won’t cut it so I thought I’d ask for a laptop instead.

PS. Also no Mac please.

Something like this ?

Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-792G-74Y9 (NX.G6REV.005)

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-core 2.60 GHz
43.9 cm (17.3") 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) 16:9
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with 4 GB
Dedicated Memory 16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD

I personaly would build a Mini PC. :slight_smile:
All you need is a TV to plug in.

Lol if you are creative, you can just build a PC, buy a small monitor with VESA Compatibility. Then you buy a very small VESA mount, bolt it into your PC case, and mount your monitor to your case. Now you just need to buy a battery, and your set, alternatively you can just plug in for maximum performance :stuck_out_tongue:

Building a mini PC doesn’t really help me with getting a laptop…

Something with specs like the Acer laptop that was posted would run the programs I want to use (specifically ue4 as it’s the most demanding) good enough for what I want it to? Id avoid 4k screen probably because it’ll have 4 times the pixels to render and make it harder to do stuff. But CPU and 960 is good enough on this laptop? I bet the ram is… Any other ideas? I never really liked laptops so it’s s new field for me that I know nothing about

I work on a laptop, works fine, even for “real production scenarios”.

Win8 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

Couldn’t get Oculus DK 2 running on my laptop though. Rest is great.

So I get it that something like thiswill be good enough for what I want to do?

I guess the most demanding stuff that I’ll need will be to prototype in UE4 (mechanics and very basic shapes/models) and zbrush. Will it not overheat during the process? The biggest problem I have with my current laptop (an eight year old Dell) is overheating after like 20 mins of doing anything other than watching youtube… Can’t even handle prototyping in Game Maker for crying out loud.

Or should I go for a bit more expensive with same hardware RoG laptop? Guess it’ll have better ways to dissipate heat considering it’s made for gaming. Sad thing is I can’t find anything with proper IPS panel and anti-glare. It’s either one or the other. Or 2k minimum price for both.