Laptop Graphics Cards?

Hey folks,

I’m going to be doing quite a bit of travelling this year and would like to continue development on a couple of personal projects with Unreal 4.8… so since I’m not going to have access to my regular desktop machine I’m looking at getting a laptop.

I haven’t really been able to track down any benchmarks for the latest Nvidia m-series cards, so I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience working with either the 960M or the 970M.

The laptops I’m currently looking at are the Alienware 17 (with a 970), Acer Aspire Nitro (960M) and the Lenovo Y50-70 (960M).

The Alienware 17 is clearly the powerhouse here, but it’s significantly more expensive - especially here in Sweden. The Lenovo Y50-70 seems like it has the most bang for buck (16GB RAM and a 4GB 960M).

I guess what I’m really after here is whether the 960M is going to be powerful enough to run the Unreal 4.8 editor at a reasonable frame rate, or do I need to go for the Alienware?

Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone has suggestions on alternatives to the Alienware 17 R2 (base unit seems to get the most bang for buck at the moment) - I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Hi,
I am a user of Y50-70, (960M , 16gb ram). And UE4 works tremendously well on the device. Even on high-epic settings, except for a few overheating issues, I havent experienced any big problems. I think Y50 will be a good choice for you as well, along with a cooling pad.

Hope this answered your question!