Landscape Tessellation Issue

Was wondering the same as it should already be kinda clear a lot of people want this.
We’re committed now regardless and should not take this ‘Yeah blabla, backlog blabla’ stuff for the ultimate answer.

Obviously lots of people need it fixed but too few are aware of this thread.
Would be useful to post this on some UE4 social groups on Facebook maybe, or other places and let on skype, workplace etc. know this thread exists.

I posted it here earlier: Reddit - Dive into anything

I am also interested in this, POM is great but can have nasty shadowing / offsets down, leaving placed objects / moving objects on the terrain looking like they are floating above. Tessellation looks much better for landscapes!

Yeah, this is a big problem for me. Personally I think the sooner this is taken care of the better. It’s basically making high quality terrains (at close distances) nearly impossible to realistically have in a game.

<- Is in agreement.

Don’t forget to share your agreements+concerns+comments+upvotes on the relevant Answer Hub topic people. It will really make a difference :rolleyes:

Great new JackP has answered both Answer hub posts now and they’ll try to get it fixed in 4.13.

I don’t know if this will fall under the same belt but the landscape collision currently doesn’t update as tessellation deforms the landscape surface. The problem with that is it forces us to stick with small scale deformations.
Should we make a new request for this?

Thanks for bringing awareness to this. I planned to employ the use of tessellated landscapes in the future and wasn’t aware of this problem. Good to see they are looking to fix it in 4.13.

nice push guys, really glad JackP stumbled upon it. in the past we’ve worked some landscape/rendering issues with him at work and he’s really supportive :o

Thanks to in this thread. I’ve been struggling with this for a long time. Glad it’s finally getting the attention it deserves!

Cool thread and thanks to Maximum-Dev for his efforts :wink:

Hey Maximum, I got your message in the event post about this. It’s known and can be tracked here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-14253)

Great finding this thread, This has been a huge for us. We are glad to see that this is a common problem, you have my vote!

Let’s hope we could see a fix by 4.13 if possible.

Tessellation is very hardware intensive as it subdivides the surface into more pieces to render. (Vertice Point/Triangle/Polygon Count, Tessellation, Dynamic Lighting, and Particles have the biggest impact on performance, it’s always been that way as far back as I can remember.)

Are you using latest video card driver?

A few years back even the monitor refresh rate, vertical sync, motherboard PCI Express bandwidth throughput (the speed at which the data can travel throughout the motherboard to get too and from point A to B like for processor and memory.), and power supply could impact things (such as lower framerate due to insufficient power to the video card to fully power it or to match AMP requirements to keep hardware from burning out, etc, etc…).

Some think R9-270 and GTX 970 250watt power requirement is the same with a LGA 1150 compatible processor stock and attempt to power that with a 300 watt power supply, but what about the rest of the computers power demands? It’s too risky with the those video cards power spikes. A power supply at 630 Watt - 700 Watt with Gold or Bronze 80+ rating would be better, that wattage value isn’t what it’ll use, but rather what it can output if it needs too depending on power consumption demands of your computer and all it’s plugged in hardware. I don’t know what your power supply but that’s something to consider if you are running higher end Full Sized video cards.

Check in Wireframe Mode.

Use the viewing tools to check for visual performance issues.

Many things impact performance, have you tried adding a Lightmap Importance Volume and doing a Full Build?

Checking your lighting settings?

Have done that and checked the screen resolution and set the MaxFPS and FPS Smoothing values then tried it stand alone to see if there’s a difference? (Aka Manually adjusting the framerate settings?)

Have you setup proper LOD distance range?

Backface Culling On or Off?

Is it trying to render geometry as double sided instead of single sided?

Changing any of the scalability settings?

Tessellation:

Unreal Tessellation Documentaiton:
.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/ContentExamples/MaterialProperties/1_8/index.html

The is not so much as the optimization of triangles on screen based on the tessellation (which is common sense to watch out for) but more so an with how unreal is treating it under the hood. As mentioned before here, you will see similar frame drops with nothing tessellated and having just the “tessellation on” on the material vs tessellation on and triangles on screen. This could also mean that any LOD tessellation on screen (such as tes based on camera distance) may not have a significant impact in gaining performance since somehow unreal is assuming the entire mesh is tessellated or something like that. It just needs a second look at it and if they can improve additional performance it would still be helpful because right now its oddly heavy even if you have moderate tessellations around a certain distance from the camera.

Anyone can confirm if this is fixed in 4.13 preview?

I opened a new project, new level, made a big landscape and threw on a material with tessellation enabled (multiplier at 0) and still got a massive FPS hit.

I can confirm that 4.13 preview so far has no tessellation performance improvements