Landscape terrain painting black spots

I did copy and paste through import /export in the terrain gizmo. Worked out decent but then i had some parts of terrain black. In either case some parts if i paint layer 4 it works fine, but if i paint any other layer i get a weird bug… black spots… its weird… it flickers when i try to paint too. See the screenshot for an example.

Hey kurylo3d,

It looks like the issue you are experiencing is a common limitation of the current shader model per landscape component. We introduced the Shared:Wrap texture sampler in 4.6 which allows for more layers and textures for your landscape material.

When you are reducing a weight-blended layer by holding down Ctrl + Shift while painting, it is not clear what layer should be increased to replace it. The current behavior is to uniformly increase the weights of any other layers. Because of this behavior, it is not possible to paint all layers completely away. Instead of painting layers away, it is recommended you choose the layer you want to paint in its place, and paint that additively.

Thank you,

But thats what i have been doing. I have simply been painting a specific layer… and what happens is certain parts flicker to black to a layer to black… its all weird stuff and it usually just ends up black. Im not doing anything fancy… i just select layer… put intensity to 1.0 and paint… and it breaks.

I am not smoothing… im simply trying to overwrite… to add on top of… But it turns black.

And its definently not an issue of the material… since the same material works on another terrain in a different level… But to rule that out switching all textures to shared wrap made no difference at all. Same bug.

I cant get rid of the blackness even if i paint all 4 layers on top of each other in the same spot … 1 after the other… its like layer 1 will work for this 1 area, but then layer 2 will reintroduce teh black spots… same for 3 or 4 in that area.

Can you reproduce this in a new blank project using a similar setup, and provide me with the steps so I can see what is occurring?

Create a landscape material with 5 layers, all using simple Vector3 constant colors. Then recreate the issue you are reporting with that setup and provide me with your material settings/properties so I can get the issue to appear on my end.

Thanks,

Unfortunately im having difficult even getting copy and paste for terrain with the exporting and importing of raw files working in this latest brand new project… it crashes the editor every time i hit ctrl+v after its all set up and ready to go in a new map with new terrain.

Im thinking the copy and paste with import / export … doesnt work well with materials. Since if i do fill and repaint the materials i have no problems whatsoever… but that just sucks. It means i have to repaint the entire terrain from scratch…

Im pretty sure the paste command crashes it if u had another map with terrain inside loaded first and when u go load a different map with different terrain hitting paste will eventually crash it. I beleive it works if u just start from the map with the terrain u wanted pasted into… kinda difficult to understand… hope u get what im saying… its a totally seperate bug im stumbling onto while trying to troubleshoot this one.

We would need a new post to be made so we can track the issue. Please keep in mind that when reporting your new issue, we will always ask for the same information. So to spare us the back and forth when narrowing down a repro, provide us with ALL the information you can.

This means the crash logs, callstack, and any other pertinent information so we can reproduce the crash. This makes the process smoother and easier for both parties.

Thank you,