Landscape performance

Hello,

I’m usually into large worlds, I have a question regarding which of these landscape settings gives a better performance.
Below is an image of 2 landscapes which specs are written below the image.

http://s1.xum.ir/2014/12/23/Terrain.jpg

Left:

Section Size: 127x127 Quads
Sections per component: 2x2 Sections
Number of components: 17x17
Overall resolution: 4319x4319
Total components: 289

Right:

Section Size: 63x63 Quads
Sections per component: 2x2 Sections
Number of components: 32x32
Overall resolution: 4033x4033
Total components: 1024

Thank you.

Most likely the first one will perform better because of the number of components are less and they’re bigger, but it’s just guesswork and it depends on other factors like how far away from the terrain the camera is, etc.

If you have more complex materials, it could be the exactly opposite. So it’s just a matter of guesses, really.

More components means less performance but as Stefan said there are other factors like LOD that affects landscape performance so you’ll need to make some tests and decide for yourself.

Thank you for the response. Let’s see the differences to do a better comparison.

Left:

Section Size: 16129 Quads
Sections per component: 4
Number of components: 289
Total components: 289

Right:

Section Size: 3969 Quads
Sections per component: 4
Number of components: 1024
Total components: 1024

What makes me wonder is the total components of 289 vs 1024 which makes me think the first settings are better, but then there’s 16129 Quads vs 3969 Quads, and I’m not sure if first settings are still better due to the low number of components only or not.

@anonymous_user_fb796d6c: Thank you Jacky. So I guess the number of Quads doesn’t matter?

It does matter. Check out this page on Landscape parameters. It should give you all the info you need regarding components and sections.