Landscape Mountains Demo - Low Performance on GTX 980

Branch: Binary 4.5.1

Build version: 4.5.1 - 2336687

Detailed description of the issue:

This issue was first [reported by user on the forums][1], I am posting this here to help track the issue as I am also seeing the same results.

The demo has poor performance in many areas of the level (when played or in editor only) going all the way down to 15fps in certain areas around the lake in the middle, and in areas where the terrain is heavily sculpted. I can’t pinpoint it but the performance seems to dip the most in areas with large elevation increases.

Opening the project, once everything is loaded I get 20fps from the default start location, turning the camera & looking
around varies from 15 to 25fps.

However in the screenshot below, I was able to find a spot where I could get 90+ fps if I rotated the camera 90 degrees to the right, you can see the difference in the screenshots below

I tested with my GPU performance viewer open and notice that whenever the FPS are low, the GPU Usage % is down at 5-10%, but when I find an area with better FPS the usage goes back up to normal (~75%). I double checked Nvidia Control Panel, DSR & MFAA (maxwell specific settings) are turned off, everything else is normal.

Screenshots/Link to video:

Repro Steps

Action 1 - Open the project

Action 2 - See low FPS :slight_smile:

Does the issue occur 100% of the time for you with these steps? Yes

System Specs: ASUS GTX 980, i5 4670k, 8gb ram, see more in my [DXDIAG][4]

Attachments:

Hi ,

I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-6149, to be assessed by the development staff.

I’m getting the exact same issue now in 2018. Has this been resolved?