Landscape Material does not look like the material in the Content Drawer

Hi new to Unreal. I watched a tutorial on how to assign a material to a landscape but when I applied the material to the landscape it doesn’t look anything at all like the material. Sooy a newbie and I’m lost as to why it isn’t working.

1. I selected my landscape the opened the details panel.
  2. In the Details Panel I scrolled down to Materials and used the dropdown to choose my material.
  3. When it applied the material to the landscape it looks nothing like the material.
  4. Did I miss a step? Is it the lighting or something else. Shouldn’t the landscape look like the material icon?

Here’s the material I chose and the landscape doesn’t look anything like it.

Hello,

It looks like you’re using the material on a static mesh and not the native landscape tool. You don’t have to worry about things like UV maps when using the landscape tool as much as you do with Static Meshes.

Did you unwrap the UV maps in Blender before importing the landscape?

Hi Arlyn, thanks for the reply. So no I didn’t unwrap the mesh just exported it from Blender as an .fbx. The material is from Quixel Megascans. The material should just apply even without uv’s as it’s a procedural material correct?

I doubt it but you can check in the material to see for sure. The majority of materials need the UV information to know how to map textures.

Before you export the mesh from blender, you can unwrap the mesh pretty quickly. I forgot the exact hot keys but it’s a couple clicks to get something decent. You should be able to reimport and see the textures show up.

Arlyn, I will try that tomorrow and post my results. Thanks.

Hi, I watched another tutorial on how to unwrap the mesh and now the material applied to the landscape. 2 glaring problems though.

1. Why the splotches on the landscape? I think it has to do with the lighting in Unreal. Maybe is it just the viewport preview settings need to be adjusted. When I reduce the specular down the splotches disappear but I want the spotty patches to not be there even when the specular is set like it is in the image. Anyone know what causes the spots and how to fix them. Thanks.

Could the spots be from my landscape UV map being too low in resolution? It was 1024x1024

I’m certainly no expert, and totally new to UE4, but looks like you need a roughness map for the landscape material.