Landscape material change crash editor

Everytime I try to clear or change landscale material in my project, editor crashes. Been sending crashfiles but is there some tricks to try getting around of issue?

Hi ,

Please copy information in Crash Reporter window, including Machine ID, and paste it here so we can look up what you’ve sent in. It would also be helpful to see log from project’s Saved\Logs folder, so that and attach it here. Lastly, please get your dxdiag and attach that here, as well Thanks!

Hi, sure. :slight_smile:

MachineId:45B01A884A8A3863E86B7B9FF6B55B68
EpicAccountId:a9f7074a1ed04383904dad869336289e

rest of info:
http://pastebin.com/nmS9dX1S

link text
link text

Hi ,

I haven’t been able to reproduce this on my end. Are you able to reproduce this in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is this limited to one specific project? Does it occur with any material or is it a specific material? Can you show me a screenshot of material setup if it is a specific material?

It happened with all materials, couldnt remove (clear) one basic grass material. But deleted now whole landscape and created new one so could select wanted material. Anyway quite quick to shape it again. I believe issue was project related. In 4.7 I remember changing material without issues.

I had accidentally drawn one visibility hole in landscale if that had some part in crash. Else not sure what could cause it. I tried to remove much landscape pieces before switching material, but no help.

i’ve also been having landscape crash issues. 90% crash when painting landscape materials. Didn’t happen early in project, but after about a month of working on landscape, seems to be happening all time. landscape has 6 diffuse, 6 normal textures, and 1 tiling noise texture with 5 layer blends overall. additionally, when i paint textures, i’ve tried strategy in a few threads, to paint a little of each layer, wait for compile, and then continue to paint full landscape, however this results in crash. during this process, two of layers don’t paint any of texture either. have tested on new level with new landscape and crash persists. will attempt to create a new project and migrate landscape material to see if this persists. there was mention that huge amounts of data are being cached as though there was a memory leak. is this related? is there a way to manually clear any shader cache to force a clean recompile? i’ve sent in several logs through crash reporter, but can attach additional logs if it would help.

Hi everyone,

These questions are for both and paradoc. Are you using a tiled landscape, a single heightmap import, or a landscape created in editor? Are you using same material for both landscape and landscape visibility mask? Can you show me a screenshot of your setup? Additionally paradoc, in your material are you setting your sampler source to shared: wrap? You have more than 16 textures within material so you’ll have to do this to be able to utilize all of them.

i’m away from computer with project on it, but will check back this evening. material is most likely not set to wrap, so i’ll update that. landscape this started happening on was originally a height import from world machine, but i took out splats to manually paint (and consequently built a new material that used weight blend instead of height blend). when crashing started to occur frequently, i created a new level, and a new default landscape with no data, and just applied some light noise to heightmap to verify some blending attributes on landscape material being tested. neither of these were tiled landscapes. i have been concurrently updating landscape material with visibility version as well, but often engine would crash during compile of one or other. as soon i’m back at machine with project, i’ll upload shader. thanks for follow-up!

Landscape Shader

Here’s shader. I set textures to wrap, but has same problem. This time however, shader compiles, but still displays default grid material. in a sample scene, no crash yet, so will retest stability on original scene.

[edit]seems a little more stable than yesterday in original scene, but still crashing during compile.

CrashLog

[edit] - also getting screen of death from this compile issue. rare, but second time a few minutes ago.

Can you post your dxdiag?

DxDiag

Have you recently updated your drivers? Please try updating drivers and trying again. If that doesn’t address error please let me know and we’ll continue. reason I ask is because editor is not able to cause a screen, screens are typically specifically related to hardware errors. Having said that, I cannot see any hardware in either dxdiag that would be a cause for concern unless part itself was bad or damaged (in these cases, it often comes down to a bad GPU or damaged RAM).

i was looking into this as well. after a few crashes, i discovered machine was dealing a windows update in background that was an auto-update. i think this in combo with shader compiles created bluescreen? after update, i haven’t been able to reproduce bluescreen, however shader compile editor crash still occurs. I was finally able to get landscape shader to compile correctly after several editor restarts. basically it will crash during compile after any material changes are applied, then on restart, it will auto-compile and work ok, however now grass foliage module doesn’t seem to be working. a piece of info i just realized might be helpful…I have two landscapes in scene of interest. each landscape has same main material and visibility material. would this be bugging process?

[edit] just realized that 2 landscapes might not be issue since test scene with one default landscape had same problem.

I created landscape fully in editor. Filled world and shaped it. material was simple grass material without any layers. For visibility, I had no material set. I accidentally made one visibility hole on landscape that didnt know how to remove. It had same grass material but player dropped through ground. Still learning to use editor. :wink:

Are you utilizing 4.8.2 or 4.8.3 when you get these crashes?

updated to 4.8.3 and things seem better now. was able to paint layers without crashes. not sure if anything in 4.8.3 targeted this issue, but i’ll post any further data/logs if this comes up again.

I had 4.8.2 when crashing, but now in 4.8.3 I have recreated whole landscape (that allowed to use new picked material). No problems so far with multilayer material from Procedural Nature Pack Vol.1.

Hey everyone,

I’m happy to hear that as of 4.8.3 you have not had any further crashes. I am going to mark this as answered for tracking purposes. If this occurs again, please comment and let me know and we can continue looking for root of problem.

Hello, I don’t know if you still need that issue solved. But in my case, I managed to solve that issue just by ctr+x and ctr+v landscape again