Landscape layer system (and landmass plugin) incompatible with world composition?

Hi, I’m trying to use the brushes from the landmass plugin with a landscape using world composition but the engine crash as soon as I check the “enable edit layers” setting (see screenshot attached)
Is it a bug or an incompatibily?

Hi,
Same question as above post. How to enable the Landscape Layer System (and Landmass Plugin) with world composition in UE 4.25?
I can’t find any documentation about it and don’t see any options within the project to enable it for any of the landscapes that are included in the World Composition.

Got the same question to. The landmass plugin is not compatible for world composition in 4.25.3 ? Will this be fixed in 4.26?

Doesn’t seem like it works. Brush manager freaks out using landmass while loading and unloading tiles, and if you load a non-square set of tiles then the curl noise pattern from the landmass blueprint brush becomes squished.

That particular error is a bug with the texturing of landscape tiles. I have seen it in 4.26 so I reported the bug and provided the exact c++ line it fails on. You have to load fewer tiles at a time - around 10 seems to be fine if you don’t want to run into that problem. It is more likely to crash if the tiles haven’t had a material applied to them.

To avoid crashing with trying to enable landscape layers, you can enable the layers when you import your landscape tiles. There is a check box to enable edit layers. If you select this on import, UE will create 1 layer for you and you can then add more if you wish.

Working with landscape layers with landscapestreamingproxies is a painful process as UE takes a long time waiting for landscape resources, when I do anything like sculpt or paint.

I’ve only just begun to experiment with using the new water system with a streaming landscape that I’ve imported. I am not using Landmass as i’m not using blueprint brushes and the water system automatically applies a water layer to my landscape, and the streaming proxies are getting modified. So far, the water system seems to treat 0 on the Z as being the water level, and because I imported from World Machine, a lot of my landscape was -Z and the water system raised the landscape to 0. To get around this, I set a constant in world machine to combine with my map so it effectively moves the map up. Then I have my imported map with water level as close to 0 as I can get it.

I’m now going to introduce the landmass plugin into my project. I was happily editing away and working with the water system on landscape streaming proxies, then all of a sudden, certain areas started to show artefacts where there were lines of landscape that were raised. These lines appeared black and I couldn’t edit them back out. I turned the water layer off and my landscape reverted back to unedited.

Just my opinion: Trying to get this to work is not worth it, if your project isn’t deep in development my advice is to focus on other areas of your project until UE5.

I asked about landmass/water plugins compatibility with world composition in the last 4.26 stream and was basically told they may not have validated it and that world composition is being deprecated by their new world partition system.

Could you link where they said that? I honestly want the money to cover the 2000+ hours spent managing world composition BS if they go and do that :stuck_out_tongue:

I do agree with Arkiras. Its not worth the effort or pain. I have spent a few weeks looking at world composition with landmass and water and its not stable at all. The ocean does work with world composition, but the editor grinds to a halt and becomes unusable when opening up multiple tiles (10 +). Eventually you’ll get artefacts in the landscape and they will be black lines. Lakes and Rivers don’t adjust the landscape properly at all, I ended up in a big mess with just 1 lake. I couldn’t even see the river water. Because I wanted to get a feel for my map and how water would look, I just used the custom water body that comes with the new water plugin, scaled the tiles and put multiple tiles around the level where I wanted lakes and rivers to be and then lowered the terrain.
I haven’t seen any information about a new world partition system.

You literally quoted a post where I linked a timestampped video to it

Verba volant, scripta manent.

unless you see it in writing from an official source its basically hearsay.
how many times have they told us “feaure x will work in release y” and yet nothing worked in release y?
I doubt they’ll change things too drastically - but you never know…

If you can’t trust a video of the engineering director for tools at Epic then I don’t know what to tell you. That’s the only source I have.

Their new system is the one they are actualy using with Fortnite and landmass/water system, they said many times that it will be the new “world composition” https://youtu.be/roMYi7BU1YY?t=1538

Fortnite is anything but massive.
you can loop the map twice in 15 min at 70kph.
It’s so small I don’t even think they have a need to use terrain impostors were it not for mobile compatibility.

We’ll have to see what they actually come up with as far as systems go.
streaming stuff in and out already happens with the current setup, and “foundations” is an interesting addition that we have all been using streamed levels for.
There’s nothing new to world composition in .26 so far…

I can’t use landmass either w/4.26 or .25 or anything, giant mess with world comp, so I’m
ALL in on 5.0 . AS far as lacking artistic workflow, I can’t even lower landscape TO MAKE lakes or any other terrain alteration I wish in my current terrain, maybe they’ll fix that too. I get it may well be, prob. IS, a math issue, its still a giant nightmare to artists without math degrees , or other.

Trying to use the 4.26 water system for rivers and lakes, then realized that it needs landscape layers too (why !?), which is incompatible with world composition :confused:
Can’t even use rivers and lake splines to draw water surface (for adaptive tesselation and less draw calls than spline mesh) without landscape deformation because nothing happens if you don’t have a “Water” layer. :frowning: