Landscape Layer Material assignment using color masks

I’m not used to posting in forums, so go easy on me if i’m breaking any forum ettiquettes, and let me know gently :slight_smile: .
UE 4.26, general question.
I made a Landscape using a heightmap and got it scaled correctly to match my setup in cad. I set up a Layer Blended material to be able to paint the landscape, and the UVs are the right size.
I exported a material ID layer that matches the height map’s position.
everything is ready for applying a material mask to drive the landscape.
Instead of painting the landscape in the editor by hand, I want to be able to use the texture I made using material ID colors from the Client’s landscape design to “paint” each layer (drive which layer is applied where). I want to show updates weekly by simply re-importing the updated material |D texture, and the landscape’s layers will update. Redoing the whole thing with the landscape or foliage tool is prohibitive for this application.

Right click and import on the landscape layer.
It takes in a png black to white.

1 Like

Thanks, that works great for manually creating a landscape mask! This will work great for my proof of concept. The real objective is to be able to make masks from a mesh of my landscape/hardscape with several planters to make masks and update several of these landscape layer masks simultaneously (like 12-15 or more) using blueprints.

Has anyone come across a resource for how to write blueprints that update landscape layers?

If you are using the latest BS they call a landscape system… it works with blueprint brushes…

my problem is that the only way i can control foliage on the landscape with layer masking is to manually click, locate file, prompts, yada yada… these layer info masks over and over again for layer masks (see photo). i have 15-20+ layers. I want this to be really easy to update so we can try many different combinations quickly. Shouldn’t there be a simple way to reload all the landscape info layers all at once to the linked file?

Not really.
But you also shouldn’t really have more than 3 or 4 layers.

You would be better off using the procedural tools for foliage perhaps?
You can have however many types linked to the same layer just by typing in the name…