Landscape Grass Type not loading when using Procedural Foliage Volume

Hello,

I am having an issue on my tiled landscape. When I use the Landscape Grass Type, everything looks fine in the editor, if works fine in PIE, and when I launch from the editor it works fine.

The problem, however, is when I package the project. If I make a tiled landscape and apply my shader with the Landscape Grass Type node everything works fine. As soon as I add a Procedural Foliage Volume the grass no longer loads on that tile. Furthermore, after I tried putting a small Foliage Spawner on another tile, the grass stopped loading (on the packaged build) on every tile in the game.

What’s even harder to wrap my head around is there’s no going back for me on this, even after deleting the procedural foliage volumes the grass does not return in the packaged build. It still displays totally fine in the editor, in PIE, and when I launch from the editor, just not from any packaged build.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have tried everything under the sun and the only solution I’ve tried that works is to remake the tiled level again from scratch.

I’ve attached an image of two tiles, both with the same landscape material. One has a procedural foliage volume and the other has nothing.

It looks like there’s a lot of foliage there. Maybe start with less foliage just to verify that it’s not a memory/performance issue. Or, start by spawning something other than foliage – such as simple cubes.

Also, do you use LODs? How is the foliage shadowed?

Are you using World Composition? Are these tiles all on on the same level? Same BP?

So to answer some of your questions in-order.

I definitely tried experimenting with just basic foliage meshes (such as a single grass mesh and cubes & cones), that did nothing because it didn’t seem like the amount of foliage or grass types were affecting it.

To reiterate my problem, adding a procedural foliage volume removed all of the grass, which was spawned from the landscape material, from my level tile. Before adding a procedural foliage volume I can package the build and the grass appears without issue.

I am using LODs, the shadows are just whatever the default values are, I haven’t played with those settings yet.

I am using world composition, the tiles all exist in the same Persistent Level. I used the “Import tiled landscape” feature in World Composition so the setup of the tiles was all automatic.

I’m confused by your situation. Do you need both the material grass and the procedural grass? There must be a conflict there.

for new guys: I think I found the solution: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/960645/view.html