Landscape Components Intermittently Loading with No Collision in Packaged Build

I believe I have run into this issue when using Data Layers with landscapes. Loading & unloading Data Layers several times will lead to missing collision of whole landscape.
Happens only in packaged build, happens 100% times.

1 Like

Holyā€¦ Since September Iā€™ve had this issue and THAT fixed it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Which fix worked for you, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

In my case, the landscape seems to not exist at all. I tried to disable streaming, but nothing changed, and it is set to load independently from the playerā€™s position

Landscape streaming proxies loads in too late when PIEing with world partition This is the one that worked for me.

1 Like

thats not a fix. setting the loading range that high defeats the purpose of using the system. if every cell within 100kunits is loaded, what exactly isnt loaded? see what i mean?

1 Like

Sorry, I thought I replied to their postā€¦

Removing the Data Layers from the engine fixed it.
Window ā†’ WorldPartition ā†’ Data Layers
Remove all data layers in that window and actually delete them from the content browser. Save + Compile + Package Game, then test.
Worked for me!

Thanks for posting, Iā€™ll test in my project.

Though, this feels like a very compromising workaround, data layers are very useful in editor. 5.4 P1 notes have just been released and I canā€™t find any reference to a fix on this in itā€¦

Has anybody tested 5.4 to see if this is still present?

I did some testing today and yesterday with my build in 5.4 preview and so far the terrain collision issue has not cropped back up. Usually in 5.3 the issue would appear around 1-5 minutes after play in the packaged build, and after roughly 1 hour of testing it hasnā€™t appeared yet in the 5.4 build.

Iā€™m going to do some more testing later to verify that itā€™s resolved, but so far I havenā€™t seen the issue I described in the OP crop up at all in my 5.4 build. This is likely unrelated to the other issues people have reported in this thread related to collision never loading or data layer issues, but as far as collision failing to load after leaving the initially-loaded segments of a large world partition world, itā€™s looking like it may have been fixed!

As to it the fix not being in the patch notes, there are a lot of commits to the 5.4 branch that arenā€™t referenced in the notes, and there is one in particular, along with a handful of related commits that specifically addressed the issue of the engine trying to load cached collision data. The specifc fix is detailed here, which is part of the 5.4 branch. https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/131db749c64a8a5f1b96a6f836a884624429154a

Going to do some more robust tesitng over the weekend and report back if the issue doesnā€™t crop up. If anyone else wants to test this, I recommend starting a new project in 5.4 and migrating your content over, rather than converting the project directly. The 5.4 preview build does not properly convert assets over and the resulting project is too unstable for testing. Starting with a blank project and migrating your assets over worked fine though.

Ok after a few more hours of testing Iā€™m confident that the issue with landscape segments losing collision when streamed in and out by world partition is fixed by 5.4 preview. Going to mark this as the answer. Thanks for the help spotting the changes in the github and helping diagnose the problem everyone.

kinda sucks I had alot of setup on 5.3 alreadyā€¦ yeah anything that unloads the landscape and then load it back in has no collision. only way is to open level again but thats not a very good work around in build either. 5.4 is fine and 5.2 is fine.

So will upgrading my 5.3 project to 5.4 fix this? I am trying to find this answer to my similar issue in my packaged project and I am on a serious time crunch!

If your issue was the same as mine, it probably would.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.