Landscape Auto Material

Hello guys,
The new version of LAM is done. We plan to submit it this week.

Can you show a picture of the updated open world scene?

When is the 4.11 update coming???

They don’t respond to anything. Don’t expect much communication from them.

As unresponsive as they are, the tool is still amazing. Im sure it will all be worth the wait

I bought it not in the market and the 4.11 Version is available since 2 weeks. So i think you must only wait for epic accept the new version.

I have also bought it directly (not from the marketplace) and I did not get any mail about the 4.11 version. How have you received it?

Idem,
I bought in their site and it’s LAM v 1.01

I received the mail on 26.04.2016. v1.01 Update with the 3 download links for 4.09 4.10 and 4.11

is there a way to add layer? to be painted on the ground?

Way cool tool! The scene is so surreal and feel so true. But the feature mentions no detail on video watermark. I think it’s an important feature.

I’m looking to use this just for simple landscapes while in port (submarine simulator) just so I dont have to waste time doing terrain texturing. Unfortunatly out of the box it KILLS performance with my ocean setup and a big port town scene. The player wont ever actually be travelling in the landscape so will never see it up close. Only from huge distances away.

What are some suggestions for optomizations in this situation?

Edit: Mostly I’m thinking like above a certain height (0z) use a basic rock/sand with no foilage setup and below 0z use a few foilage meshes as they are out of the box with a simple rock/sand landscape layer. EVen better would be the further from 0,0,0 the less foliage (that would be further from port in these levels)

How would I go about acheiving this with LAM? I’m a programmer dont od much material stuff.

Will there be a timely update to UE 4.12 of this?

And also, I have read this: [Feature request] LandscapeGrassOutput and GrassType features and bugfixes - Feedback for Unreal Engine team - Unreal Engine Forums

Since 4.12 is out already, does that mean that those features are implemented?

Edit: I have another important question. Your tool paints “stone” materials on the landscape too, which seems to be weight blended. And I noticed that it is possible to lift them off from the surface quite a bit. But they do not have collision, do they?

I totally recommend this plugin and the guys making it. I bought it before it was launched on the Marketplace and they’ve been very supportive so far and very quick to answer my mails. You can get very beautiful nature landscapes very fast and you can of course customize it to your liking, using your own foliage if you want.

Do be careful about performance though! Even if the plugin is nicely written and decently optimized, you can very quickly go overboard.

If you want to see LAM in action and how we used it in our game, you can have a look at this thread: Life Pictures

Pardon, but are you implying that LAM does put a burden on the game at runtime? Does it cost more performance than when I would have done everything manually? :open_mouth:
I thought this was just a tool to ease the process of landscape creation…

No, not at all, I’m just saying what should be obvious to people with experience, which was not my case, that the amount of foliage LAM uses in their demo scene requires a good rig to run at 30+ fps. In my naive pre-Unreal days I was hoping that you don’t run into performance issues so easily. This being our first PC game after almost 10 years on mobile, I was expecting to enter paradise, but performance will be an issue no matter the platform, mainly because we devs tend to get greedy and put too many things in.

It was more of a general warning as to how much foliage you put in and considering that LAM puts a decent amount of auto-generated grass on the landscape, you need to remember to tweak the density and to be careful how much extra foliage you add manually after. Not to mention that you still need to take care of the culling distances, LODs and so on. Don’t expect it to be magical, it’s still Unreal and it still follows the same limitations. Like you said, LAM is there to help you in creating landscapes, not to solve performance issues caused by overcrowding the level with foliage.

Hi, any tips to make landscape auto Material (without foliage) game ready? On large worlds it seems to take up to much performance.

Can you make an optimization video? it’s really good but it seems to be dropping the fps heavily on my project despite my high spec pc.

Read the optimizations part on their website.

Has anyone seen the root landscaper error you get when trying to play any of the levels you get with LAM. I dont think it had this problem before. Now any unit will just fall through the floor on play. There is also a bad error about root not being static. Anyone else seeing this? Know whats going on?