Kite demo yeahhhh !!!!!!!

Try to select something in the scene outliner and press f to center the object in view…;

Is not a matter of framing. I get the same as well. The cave scene is the only one loading somewhat. Not sure on the real dilemma. In the cave scene geo is shown and a little lighting. Rest is black. In the blank flat landscape level it shows sky and the terrain texture fine.

Can you try recompiling all the shaders?

I will take that advice and report back hopefully today. Been setting up PBR for CE this morning.

The first thing I saw when opening the “standalone” demo, was a rock that had grass growing through it, really disappointing when seeing that in a game, although this isn’t a game it still takes away a lot from any immersion walking through the scene.

Now though, I think of this release as a “what you can do in cinematics”, ie you can throw together a scene like this, and use it to tell a story, esp if you plan out exactly where the shots will be and make some really interesting content.

I don’t think of it as a Game, or part of a game, it’s just a lot of really interesting techniques and processes that UE4 can do, that can be incorporated or used as inspiration in your own work. Seen like that it makes sense and I can understand the limitations you bring up.

I might be doing something wrong, but the terrain size I am seeing is close to 10x10 kilometers, no? One level is on average extents 220k units which measures up to 2.2x2.2 kilometers, no?

No wonder we don’t see good games anymore, people like you complain about unimportant little things.

I’m more concerned about all of the floating herds of deer.

I’m unsure why my personal aesthetic preferences would influence the entire game industry,
or why I have suddenly been inaugurated into a subset of the population “people like you” that have the same opinions.

I realise this forum is lacking some moderation nuances and letting some trolls in, but I certainly won’t tar you with that definition, despite your personal dig at me.

So by all means explain why a complete abrupt discontinuity of the scene, as shown by clipping issues that leads to a suspension of the “suspension of belief” that’s needed to be in any way invested in the game/scene/cinematic is not an issue worth mentioning.

To put it more simply, why even bother with high poly models or fancy lighting and shadows, when you have foliage sticking through solid items.

Also note, as you seem to have specifically missed it, my post was not about that issue, and actually indicated, nay actually stated that these issues were understandable.

1 Like

Please keep the conversation civil or infractions could start flowing. Thanks.

I had the black screen going on too. Just had to wait a while ( a long while) for it to finally load. I think it may have been doing some building but there was nothing showing in the editor that any activity was going on. Also my cpu usage was only at around 40-60 percent the whole time. But I have to admit I am still really new at UE4 so I have been really perplexed as to exactly how this demo is put together, I’m sure mostly due to my inexperience with this editor.

I have 16GB of DDR3 1600 on an I3 530 slightly overclocked (3Ghz usually). Gigabyte P55A-UD4P(great board but getting old now) Video card is a GTX560ti (IIRC) on the primary monitor (its a triple monitor system with 2 video cards). System is a bit dated now, but still usually handles 3dsmax, UE4, Cryengine3, WorldMachine and such with ease, but this kite demo really makes my system show its age!

I don’t understand why people are complaining about this, there is so much FREE tech in there to dig through, it’s unreal. Thanks Epic.
One of the first things I did was to migrate the landscape material and drop it in my own project, works like a charm without me having to touch any settings. (although a bit of tweaking was necessary to get rid of some tiling issues).
The procedural (semi-automatic) foliage placement is very good and is easily modified if you want to change the foliage meshes.

I love the water shader on a mesh with the automatic shoreline, but I can’t seem to get it to work when I migrate it to my project, the shoreline doesn’t happen. Does anybody know what I might be missing or not doing when I migrate it to my own project?
The water works and looks great but the shoreline doesn’t appear. Thanks.

As far as I know did use masks such as flow map etc. generated for his terrain using WM2. And you definitely have to take them out since they don’t match your heightmap information. But the better is to replace them by your own.

Yeah you can see in the levels on the kite demo that there is a lot more going on than just the base landscape material, but just dropping that one material (that is used for many assets) onto a landscape will give you rocks on slopes and a pretty decent varied grass. It is intended for use with the procedural grass foliage though or you will see the repeating textures.
I need to keep digging to fully understand it all but I would never complain about what is/isn’t there.

, I got no such luck. In fact all I’m getting is rock and some grass meshes here and there, but no green at all other than that - it’s just flat rocks all over the place. I wonder what’s going on there? Also now that you guys mentioned it I’ve tried looking into the material for flow map and other masks but I can’t find them. Any pointer?

Edit: Duh. I was using the master material instead of the instanced one. My question on flow map remains though.

Guys - got request, I have found out, that Kite demo contains a Deer animal asset with animations. I really need it for my fantasy RPG adventure game, but I don’t want to download 45gb of data due to bandwith issues. Could somebody of you guys just upload for me the deer awith all corresponding it assets ? Like “Deer” -> migrate ( and then migrate it to some folder, pack it and upload for me, then send me the link. ) Thank you :slight_smile:

Is that even legal? I understand that we can use it in our projects, but I’m not sure we can distribute it.

Well I guess one could make it available on the private GitHub network from Epic, nowhere else. I dont know.

We do have some details about this here:

https://www.unrealengine/eula

But that is to cover the engine itself.

EDIT: This does also cover assets! Enjoy!