Kite demo yeahhhh !!!!!!!

I also find the Object Radius node the proper way of doing so. It automatically tiles everything up and down when you scale the object up and down so the tiling always remains the same. :slight_smile:

The kite demo is pathetic and nothing to do with what is needed for open world games.
UE4 is pathetically not optimized, the idiotic demo does not even run in stand-alone on a machine that runs all the latest games without problems.

Just to show you how numb Epic Games is:
2 years oldā€¦v=ZMVz3oUCagw
That is open world! Not this idiotic Epic Games **** that does not run on any customer hardware and is just marketing show-off stuff.

@PolPlant
Look, Epic has been very clear this demo was designed to stretch their Engine to the very brink. Why? So they can optimize it. This is how they push the edge. That demo you keep pushing does the exact same thing, only for systems when it first came out. How do I know? I remember wen it first came out, and absolutely killed my machine. In the next revision, that demo was using a more optimized version of the Unigine Engine, so didnā€™t kill my machine at the same levels. I upgrade a little after that, and my Macbook Pro handles it better.

Unreal Engine is an amazing Engine, and is constantly being updated. The implementation in the demo is a first pass, optimized tech demo, not a polished game. It is intended for a different audience, and meant to stress out different systems. I realize you want Epic to only focus on the things you are interested in, but they have other priorities, such as pushing the state of the art in real time rendering for live scripted experiences, such as those that are working better than traditional game in VR, Architectural walk-throughs or cut scenes.

This is good for you, as all of this tech an ability means that Unreal will be around for a while, and will constantly be optimized for ever better performance and use cases. Things that make the video play back in real time while looking fantastic can be applied in smaller degrees to your creations to optimize in new and novel ways. This cross polination is what has given every Engine of this generation PBR style renderers, and I for one want this innovation to continue. Thank you Epic for putting forth the resources to advance my favorite visual medium.

Now, letā€™s get back to the topic of this thread. Thanks for releasing this, Epic! I canā€™t wait to melt my video card.

my point here is the Kite Demo is about the cinematic and the graphics. itā€™s hardly a game.
having no collision in anything makes it hard to make almost any kind of game. except a free roaming flythrough, but even there Iā€™d argue that if you can go through trees and rocks itā€™s sub-par quality for a game of any quality level

btw if disliked the engine half as much as he seems to heā€™d be long gone. as heā€™s still here itā€™s only proving to be a troll, so donā€™t feed him :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re repeating what @was saying. The Unigine demo artistically and technologically is better than the Kite. Volumetric clouds, day/night cycle, weather system, foliage and much more, all that very well executed. Itā€™s more than 2 years old (not a ā€˜next-gen engineā€™), youā€™d think a next-gen engine like UE4 would look betterā€¦

Epic was showcasing this idiotic trailee as representative material for UE4 and as such it was interpreted by almost every source. What they did not mention are the actual hardware requirements. It does not run on hardware that is able to draw open worlds of the latest games. The kite demo does not even look better or has more elements in it than the latest AAA titles.
By not mentioning the hardware requirements they obviously pulled a marketing stunt. I hope it really backfires when people realize that they will never be able to draw this pathetic landscape on their screens due hardware cheating.
Take a look at CD Project Reds engine and many others to see how to build an engine. You really have to walk a long way towards optimisation before this pathetic FPS zombie freak engine that is UE4 will be any competitve. Also, get better coders. It is like whoever did not get a job at a big company gets stranded in FPS zombie shooter land.

I thought you said you were done yesterday? I guess you didnā€™t get enough attention so you decided to cry a bit more.
No one ever said that every single piece of content would run on every machine. This was made to push the limit, no one would make assets with this high resolution and expect it to run on lower end machines, itā€™s not their fault your machine runs like a potato clock. It runs perfectly fine on my machine and plenty of others, maybe you should upgrade? Itā€™s just a demo to show off what can be done, never did they claim that it would run on anything but higher end machines.
This is just as open world as the Unigine Valley, how it performs has nothing to do with it. Also what is a customer computer? And of course itā€™s for marketing, why else would they make it? Itā€™s there to show off what is doable in the engine, not to give some free content for people to put in their own projects, that are too lazy to make it themselves.

If they claimed it would run on lower machines and charged for it you would be entitled to complain, but youā€™re getting this for free and knew it wouldnā€™t run on lower end computers, you have no place acting like an entitled brat being all rude about it.

1 Like

I got 15FPS in play mode with the dron in my 780GTX with 16G of Ram (All in Ultra)

Wow, thatā€™s badddā€¦! Question, what resolution were you running this at? I might try it on my 980M as itā€™s generally performed better than my 780ā€¦

@Sitrec, the phraseology is probably not displayed in the correct manor but he does have a point. If an old(ish) fully dynamic, complete, benchmarking tool looks as good and runs 5 to 10X better then thereā€™s a serious problem that needs to be addressed with Epic. Which isnā€™t a bad thing per say, just something that needs working onā€¦

Oh man I love this project, I have to upgrade my machine to fully take advantage of it, well worth the expense though!

@You really come off as a troll, almost every thread I see you in youā€™re just bashing Epic in a manner that does not make very much sense.

1 Like

I already tried my 980m and was getting 28FPS most of the time, in the more performance hungry parts of the map it was dropping to around 18/19 FPS and I only saw it drop to 15FPS once but it was only for a split second.

Thanks, saves me having to re-download itā€¦

I suppose this is for another topic, but Iā€™m utterly surprisedā€¦ A 780 should pound a 980M into dust, especially because of the size of it :D.

1080p (1920x1080) at 120Hz Monitor all in Ultra with the F11 screen in-editor.
I got more info, in some map parts i got 40FPS to 60 i think, in some cases you got 15 in other 60FPS, and in the Cinematic demo i got about 21FPS more or less about all the demo (from 15 to 30FPS)
*15FPS sometimes.
*The differences between cards these days are pretty small if you compare 780 with 680 or 980 for example (or that is what i think).

Anyway this example donā€™t is a good example for UE4, i think we need wait more time to see something better with all features of the engine (particles, light, etc) and we going to get best results with more mature version of the engine (and probably we need wait more than 2 years more).

This demo is more about how to be a wizard/hacker with the models and postprocess and light, in general you see good quality but in the end the details are bad but with the magic tricks from artits this looks good.

we went from this

to this

://gifyu/images/KiteDemo-Win64-Shipping2015-06-1315-13-04-17.png

and this

https://farm1.staticflickr/268/18586524248_49a0f58faf_o.jpg

and this

://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/06/14/cb9cf6e8710df324de71623c2d89154e.png

and people are still complaining.

I only have 16 gigs of ram, and when I try to open the maps in the KiteDemo project, Iā€™m getting mostly black blank levels, any suggestions? The Cave interior is the only one that kinda works.

open the one it tells u in the tutorial map to open and then hit play.

Have you tried playing?
I loaded up the one with Landscape in itā€™s name and it even worked on my machine with 8GB RAM and an old GPU.
FPS ranged from 0.02 to 60.

Then I tried play as standalone and things didnā€™t go so well, restarted and itā€™s time for round 2 =p
Just windows and Chrome is taking up near half my RAM though -_-.

Edit: Just actually read the startup text, might try loading the others as well.

Oh! Did some people think they were going to strap on their DK2ā€™s and start prancing around like Julie Andrews, singing ā€œThe Sound of Musicā€ songs. Ok, I admit, that was me a little bit. Itā€™s still though! The trees, the grass, those frickinā€™ deer. There is a lot of stuff to learn here. Thank You Epic!

PolyPlant: You wrote: "You really have to walk a long way towards optimisation before this pathetic FPS zombie freak engine that is UE4 will be any competitve. Also, get better coders. It is like whoever did not get a job at a big company gets stranded in FPS zombie shooter land. "

OUCH! That is a low blow my friend. Here is what I do when I get frustrated: Move my keyboard out of the way, lean down and bang my head on my desk. Sometimes that knocks some sense into my frontal lobe. :wink:

Still not working :\ it loads fairly quickly, but itā€™s just black, I can find a few random assets like the kite under the scene outliner, but not enough for a large level, and they are all black. The UI loads up when I hit play, but nothing else.

@, definitely not ungrateful for what Epic have done and what theyā€™re trying to achieve (Especially coming from Unity :D)ā€¦ They have come a MASSIVE way in a short amount of time, but as a commercial games developer I do wonder sometimes if theyā€™re more fixated on the mega (shiny new features, pushing the engine etc.) than the mundane bread and butter portion (performance, stability all that boring jazz)ā€¦

I gather some people here do want to earn money, Epic also take a royalty cut so they want you to sell games too (I think?)ā€¦ The wider the hardware range, the more sales Indieā€™s and Epic getā€¦

It could be nothing more than a matter of pushing the engine as far as it can, become THE defacto in 3D games development then work on cleaning it up after?