Kismet to Blueprint ?

So at this moment our team is working/finishing our first project with UDK. Due to the type of game we have made a lot of custom Kismet nodes (Unreal Script). Is it possible to port / re-use the same kismet nodes in UE4’s Blueprint? I have watched the blueprint youtube video’s but it’s not clear/mentioned if old kismet nodes (custom) are compatible with UE4.

And if sue do the Kismet nodes have to be re-written to C++ instead of Unreal Script.

Hope someone can shed some more light on this for me.

Kind regards.

They are different. You can use them as a reference, but you’ll need to start over. If your game is near completion you should keep it in UDK and publish. I started the game I’m working on in UDK, it took me several months to port it to UE4 about as long as it took to originally do it in UDK.

There no UnrealScript anymore so yes they will need to be rewritten

You’ll find that many things that you need to have ported from Kismet to BPs may already be in BPs by default. The BP system, unlike Kismet, is a true visual scripting language, with variables, methods, arrays, object interaction, and more. You’ll hear many people tell you that BPs are UScript’s successor, and that’s absolutely true. I was very skeptical at first (I never used Kismet after giving it a try), but I actually did an entire game for a game jam with nothing but BPs. And I enjoyed it. :smiley:

I actually just notice that transport any function from C++ code to Blueprint just by adding macro before the function, example from code reference:

UFUNCTION(BlueprintPure, Category="Pawn", Meta=(ToolTip="Gets the owning actor of the Movement Base Component on which the pawn is standing."))
static AActor * GetMovementBaseActor(const APawn * Pawn) {...}

So you don’t need to make extra block, just make functions that you need accessible to Blueprint :slight_smile:

As others have touched on, UE4 doesn’t use UnrealScript anymore and the way that Kismet nodes were created is not exactly the same in Blueprints. Blueprints have access to a lot of default nodes/functionality right out of the box though, and it’s actually very easy to expose any custom C++ functions you write to Blueprints directly: Exposing Gameplay Elements to Blueprints | Unreal Engine Documentation

Thanks

Thanks for the all the feedback guys. I think we will finish the project in UDK first and then port all of it over to UE4. For me the native Android support in UE4 is very interesting for our project.