Keyboard shortcut that work across all editors

Is there anyway to make a keyboard short cut that will the same regardless of what window I clicking in last.

Specifically, I am trying to do Cinematic keyframe animation using the Main viewport, sequencer and curve editor. I want some short cut to move forward and back in the timeline. The arrow keys do this fine in the sequencer and the curve editor but once I click in the viewport - like say to translate an animated actor to a new position at that key - the arrow keys work entirely differently. In fact they move the camera which is the last thing I want.

As an animator who has developed a very efficient workflow in both Maya and AfterEffects, this is driving my f***ing crazy. I can’t believe this isn’t possible.

What more is that I am used to using a Wacom tablet to speed my workflow. In other animator friendly apps, I am able to program the express key scroll wheel to scrub forward and backward in the time line while I keep my stylus near the viewport manipulators of the object I am animating.