Just started with UDK 3, need advice...

Hi folks, need an advice from experienced people.

About a week ago I finally decided to give Epic’s UDK a try and bought a book to start learning UnrealScript, given that nobody knew when UE4 would have been made available to , and I just didn’t want to wait its release…guess what, it just happened ::
So, as a total newb, I need help to decide what to do, if I should just stick with UDK 3 and experiment with it until UE4 gets more updates / documentation, or just take the plunge and switch to it.
Also, is it still worth spending time on learning UnrealScript? What would you do?

I would recommend you to directly switch over to the UE4, because then you don’t think in the “UDK way” like me (e.g In UDK I have added a light in that way, but how do it do it in the new engine) -> but UDK experience is also a big +, because many stuff is the same in the UE4 :stuck_out_tongue:

Unreal Script will definitely help you, but of course you will have to switch over to C++ so it’s pretty hard to say. But when you are able to program in us, then it will be easy to switch to C++ or any other language.

[=;1495]
I would recommend you to directly switch over to the UE4, because then you don’t think in the “UDK way” like me (e.g In UDK I have added a light in that way, but how do it do it in the new engine) -> but UDK experience is also a big +, because many stuff is the same in the UE4 :stuck_out_tongue:

Unreal Script will definitely help you, but of course you will have to switch over to C++ so it’s pretty hard to say. But when you are able to program in us, then it will be easy to switch to C++ or any other language.
[/]

Thanks for the quick reply, . I was thinking of just going through the book otherwise it would’ve been a waste of money. Also I can see UScript and C++ share some similarities (I know a bit of C++ fundamentals), and as you said being able to use UDK would be an advantage, but I just don’t know if this justifies the time spent on UDK 3. I don’t want to be left behind.

yeah i would recommend you switch to UE4. It really is the more powerful engine and just to me opens up a lot more options :-).

Thanks Evenios.

Anyone else wanting to share their opinion on this?

[=giofrida;1489]
Hi folks, need an advice from experienced people.

About a week ago I finally decided to give Epic’s UDK a try and bought a book to start learning UnrealScript, given that nobody knew when UE4 would have been made available to , and I just didn’t want to wait its release…guess what, it just happened ::
So, as a total newb, I need help to decide what to do, if I should just stick with UDK 3 and experiment with it until UE4 gets more updates / documentation, or just take the plunge and switch to it.
Also, is it still worth spending time on learning UnrealScript? What would you do?
[/]

A lot of what you picked up with the UDK will transfer over to UE4. However things like u-script will not, but the logic behind coding will transfer because in the end code is code and the logic behind how you code is still the same. I would say that you should take the plunge and hit the Blueprints first and then once you get a grip on that take it to the next step and learn C++.

You should just use UE4. It is easier to start game projects in it. It gives you templates that provide basic control and camera for several game types and you can make a new project just in ONE CLICK. UDK has more steps to it since it was more like modding than fully using an engine even though they really made improvements.

Thanks guys. Since there’s little to no documentation (and I’m not really confident with any programming language, except a bit of C++) where do you suggest I start learning how to use UE4? I mean, not only the interface/functions/technical aspects, but also the basics of game development.
I guess I have to start somewhere, that’s why I decided to pick UDK without thinking much. Once finished with the UScript book I would’ve moved to this one](://www.amazon/UDK-Game-Development–Thorn/dp/1435460189), to have a nice general knowledge to begin with as soon as UE4 came out…

Any other opinion on the topic is much appreciated.

Start now with learning the stuff about game designing :smiley:

I agree, you’ll do yourself a big favour by taking on UE4 without the UDK baggage. There are some similarities (I wasn’t a big UDK user but I can see them), but the most important thing to pick up on before you worry about, for example learning C++, is the design patterns behind UE4. Using and mastering Blueprints will bring most of this to you, so when you do decide you want to go deeper you have a much clearer picture of what does what and, importantly, what it is you actually want your C++ code to do.

Blueprints are super. Put that book on a shelf - at least it looks impressive :slight_smile:

[=;2102]
There are some similarities (I wasn’t a big UDK user but I can see them)
[/]

Nearly everything is the same. There are just some more features and improvements :slight_smile: -> That’s pretty good, because a UDK user can easily jump over to the UE4

Take the plunge and switch today!

You’ll love it.

Well thanks guys, I think I’ll follow your advice :wink:

[=;2065]
Start now with learning the stuff about game designing :smiley:
[/]

You mean by directly experimenting with the UE4 / following tutorials? I honestly don’t think I can figure out how to, say, build an entire level (set terrain, meshes, material, lighting etc.) all by myself…

[=giofrida;2028]
Thanks guys. Since there’s little to no documentation (and I’m not really confident with any programming language, except a bit of C++) where do you suggest I start learning how to use UE4? I mean, not only the interface/functions/technical aspects, but also the basics of game development.
I guess I have to start somewhere, that’s why I decided to pick UDK without thinking much. Once finished with the UScript book I would’ve moved to this one](://www.amazon/UDK-Game-Development–Thorn/dp/1435460189), to have a nice general knowledge to begin with as soon as UE4 came out…

Any other opinion on the topic is much appreciated.
[/]

Hey giofrida! I would start with our channel.
https:///UnrealEngine

We have a ton of new videos showing you how to get started! and when you have specific questions, pop back over here or to answer hub and we will be around to help answer them.

Thanks!

Darren

Yep, that’s how I did it with the UDK engine. :slight_smile: (but of course everybody has to find his own way how he can learn it the best)

Yea check out the examples and such, along with the tutorials on :slight_smile: you can learn a lot from reading other game levels and such.

Ok then, I’m going for it :slight_smile: also many thanks Darren, I’ll definitely check out your channel!

Hi Giofrida,

I certainly understand that the undertaking can be daunting at first, however utilizing the new toolkit, while it has a learning curve, is a rewarding experience and we have many options available for you to push forward and learn from. Here are a few helpful links that you have at your disposal if you do choose to learn from the new engine:

Wiki - https://wiki.unrealengine/Main_Page
Tutorial Videos - https:///playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE
And our documentation page, which contains a plethora of pages on getting started, varous samples, tutorials, etc. - https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/

On top of all of this, we have a thriving community of beta testers and users who are more than happy to help aspiring designers and hobbyists. I sincerely hope this helps you further!

Thank you,

Thanks for your help :slight_smile: Again, thanks ! I’ll switch to UE4 as soon as possible.