Just got UE4 and... Does anyone know what the world size is?

I’ve been Googling and can’t find the info. What is the world size? Is it easily adjustable?

I read somewhere that its infinite (you can have mode where coordinates are calculated around player, and world moves around instead of PC inside world), but they are working on it, its not ready yet. Same ol stuff.
They were working on many improvements we just got with unreal4 that were advertised for unreal 3.

So for now if you want to make infinite pac-man game play with blueprints and pseudorandom random to spawn level around.

For all intents and purposes it should be next to unlimited in size.

If you really must make an incredibly huge sized map, it will certainly be larger than the draw distance.
So you can do one or more of many things to account for this…

One option, and probably the one i’d suggest, is using the Streaming Level functionality to load largish sections of your huge area as the player traverses space.

Another option, would be area borders where a new level is loaded upon crossing. You see this in a number of games that do not appear to have level streaming, or that need to instance regions for multilayer reasons etc.

There are likely other methods, if your levels become too huge.

I’d actually recommend using some of them anyway.

Its not like you’d want the entire game world in memory at launch, if for no other reason than loading times.

Well I was just toying around with the sizes, I can make the max size for a piece of landscape, which is around 8,000 something. However by the time you reach the third from last component section(?(large sections of terrain), you reach a kill wall pretty much. You can continue building past that as far as I can see, but you can’t run to it with the death and all.

will that work for multiplayer?

Check my post here

BTW WORLD_MAX constant is not a hard limit, you can change it, since you have access to the sources.

Level loading? Yeah, it should do.

I mean really you can think of it like an optimization.

For example, on the server, and client side too. Being if two characters are separated by a kilometre or more (presuming there are several blocks of level in between the two),
there is no reason to have the geometry or logic in between them loaded. Only the stuff in the surrounding areas of both.

The instanced area model is used extensively by some mmo’s like Dragon Age. And others like World of Warcraft use the streaming level model.
In some areas like the Tanaris Desert you can see seams where the smoothing groups on the ground planes, can’t quite link the area boundaries.

If you search the forums, somewhere’s a thread where one of the developers answered this.
UE4 has an ‘experimental’ function which allows to stream endless worlds.
It works by shifting the worlds origin from time to time.
Thanks to that the player will never leave the 5x5 km world bounds.
Instead the world will move to where he is.
However thatfeature has no server implementation by now.
And its unsure if it’s going to happen. You might need to do that on your own.

But hey, you’ve source code access. You can do anything you want!

as said by ddvlost (who speaks like an Epic dev :D)
“World origin rebasing will not work with multiplayer games, to make it work you will need to implement your own server solution.”
doesn’t specify if there’s plans to make a multiplayer implementation in the future, but reading how rebasing works it sounds like a non-trivial thing

also Level Streaming sounds like a needed and required optimization thing, but I fail to see how it can make the world bigger as the same floating point limits still apply there. after all, level streaming was there in UDK. it could be used to break down chunks of a level for the obvious performance reasons, but didn’t really make levels bigger. is there any new magic hidden function in UE4 in this regard?

I too wonder about this. I want to make an open-world multiplayer game and I’m not sure I’d even need more than 5x5 km but I’d like to be on the safe side. I certainly know I wouldn’t need more than 10x10 km so working with half the size in UnrealUnits would make it for me, but I’m not sure if the physics will become too inaccurate at half size (after all there must be a good reason why Epic doubled the “standard” scaling from UDK to UE4)

Would be great to get to 15x15km which is the size of DayZ map. Really no need for anything bigger than that.

I am working on some sailing game, and there is need for that. Fast sail that is properly scaled (so 3rd person avatar can walk on it) can get outside that in 2-3 minutes of real time with any accelerated game time.
I tried scaling down all game by 100, but then physics goes nuts, ie. with 1/10th scale how you scale mass of cannonball, or forces? With real scale its easier to guess values that work.

So currently i am doing workaround for that (but keeping everything ready to implement real scale again).

Yeah 15x15 km for Open World Multiplayer would be awesome. It would be great if Epic did manage that.

Since there is streaming the size of the environment is only limited to the amount of storage space available.

Makes you go kind of hummmm as to possibilities. Think Google Earth but with guns. :smiley:

What a complete load of ****. There’s definitely people that need a map that is a lot bigger than that, speak for yourself.

If you’re using a sky object, it’s a tessellated sphere about 300,000 units wide I think. When I was doing some post-processing work that I wanted to exclude the sky from using depth I found it was about 150k units from the center of my world. Might ber 250k. it’s something around that size though. And it may just move with the camera.

i know this is a very old thread but thought i would post something i picked up.
My level was created and i eventually scaled everything in it up. then i started having this issue where if an object goes below 0 world z value it be considered out of bounds for the world.

Took me a while to figure out why everything just suddenly stops moving and gets deleted.
So keep that in mind.

The world grid is around 20 x 20 km I think. The true limit (without world origin rebasing) is the accuracy of floating point math which can cause jittering of skeletal mesh animations and other stuff like that.