Jumper. FP-Puzzle Game inspired by Portal

Could somebody please help me solve this issue if you may know what it is?

I have posted a question on the answers page: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/320182/why-does-my-packed-game-look-different-to-pie.html

Thanks!

Finally! I have a demo available.

Windows only at this moment. Should run on both 32/64 bit.

If you are going to play the demo, please can you leave me some technical info afterwards.
Exact windows version. Windows 10/Pro/64bit etc. Ram, CPU etc. Graphics card and other standard PC specs
Ideally could you also let me know your monitor size.

The game has been package only at preview quality, so the lighting isn’t perfect at the moment and so this demo is not indicative of the final level of quality. There are some stages that still have elements blocked out with simple cubes awaiting to be replaced by new assets.

You may also notice some debug messages when starting a new stage. I’ve done this intentionally to make sure the auto save feature is working correctly. While on the subject, could you also make sure that the continue button on the main menu is working for you as you would expect it to. If not, how would you like it to behave differently?

If you have a controller, please try it out. I’ve tested XBox 360 controller which works fine. A = Jump. Start button will bring up menu. All other controls are your typical FPS movement controls. Menus not supporting controllers yet. Only the actual game itself.

Download link (Download entire zip folder): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fNHFFEy8SKQXd2QlVFVmxsbjg

Download Demo Now!

Just gave the demo a whirl. Enjoyed it a lot. However, now having played it, I definitely feel like the player needs to move a bit faster. Most of the time that I missed jumps was because I was expecting a faster movement and it felt very frustrating having to climb back up because of the speed. Other than that, the movement feels a little floaty, like I don’t have legs. Maybe try a really subtle movement bob or something like that?

Outside of that - it all ran nicely and was fun. There were a few textures missing, but I’m guessing that’s deliberate at this point?

PC SPecs:

CPU: Intel i7 2600 2.4gHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GeForce 760 GTX

Side note - the game started up on my Oculus Rift first time I ran it. It’s WAAAY to tired for that atm, but I’ll give it a shot tomorrow or the next day and let you know how it feels in VR :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feed back. That’s very useful! :slight_smile:

Yeah I have been thinking about adjusting the player speed. I disabled sprinting as early on in the development it was causing a few glitches with the jump pads. I might try to re-instate it as I have changed the logic somewhat.

In regards to the floaty movement, I don’t think you are the first to say that to me so I should definitely look in to that.

Yup, the ‘missing textures’ are just where I still need to finish creating assets to replace BSP :slight_smile:

Thanks for the specs too :slight_smile:

Ha that sounds interested about the VR! I look forward to hear what it’s like :smiley:

Thanks again!

Sadly, despite detecting the rift, it doesn’t render correctly, so it’s not VR playable in it’s current state.

Games is a little bit slow cause performance but works very fine. Jumping is not so nice as the gravity is very slow…
But ok WIP :3

Ah that’s a shame, but never mind. I havn’t really put too much thought in to VR, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for future projects. Have you ever played or seen Descent 1-2-3? I’m thinking of making a game similar to that. That would be pretty awesome with VR I imagine! :slight_smile:

P.S Not every day you get to say “detecting the rift”, how very SF! :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback Kanizitas!

The player speed is something that is brought up very often, so I’ll be adjusting that for sure :slight_smile:

Nah never played them. Heard lots of good things though :slight_smile:

And yeah :stuck_out_tongue: detecting the rift is an awesome clause XD

I put my game up on Kickstarter again, and is doing a bit better this time around :slight_smile:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34359686/jumper-unreal-engine-4-game

I got a bit of stick (on another forum) last time I started a Kickstarter project. We all put a lot of effort in to our games though, especially when we work on them alone. We all deserve any money we are able to make from our games :slight_smile:

While I’m on the speech note, thank you to everybody for your support and feedback so far! It’s all appreciated and is what keeps us going :slight_smile:

Nice project.
Some wallsegment could use a bevel edge.
Gratulation to your sucessful KS campaign, very smart to set target low, but at 105 £?

Hey LuftBauch, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I was thinking that, but it might be a little late to go back and change it now, we’ll see :slight_smile:

Thank you, I’m interested to see what it finishes on :smiley:

Sorry for the lack of proper update posts recently. I’ve been busy mucking around with technical stuff for the game. I’ve been busy making sure I’ve properly set up cross-compiling so the game is reliably exporting to Linux from A Windows machine. I’ve also busy doing some promo stuff, such as the Kickstarter page.

With that boring stuff out the way I can now get back to the fun stuff :slight_smile:

I’ve started making a subtle replacement for the wall assets. Pretty much the same but bevelled and with smooth shading. In Blender it already looks a lot better, so should look a whole lot better once imported to UE4. They are within the same bounds/size as the original wall pieces, so I should be able to just export and overwrite the original meshes, re-import in UE4 and it should just replace everything flawlessly.

Concept level design at it’s absolute finest hehe :wink:

85e1eba9a049921c9605ee71d79534951ed15010.jpeg

Could be one of my sketches. ^^
Nice game.

If it does the job, that’s all that matters :smiley:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Time-lapse video of one of the stages being constructed:

Finally!!

Nearly a year later, I’m publishing this game.

You can download the demo straight away at: http://cypher2012.itch.io/jumper

If one of you guys want a key for the full game let me know and I’ll generate one for you so you can play the full game for Free.

Thanks for your support!