Jump Z Velocity changes upon clicking 'Compile'

I downloaded the Stack-O-Bot project so and experimenting. I created a new Character BP and now when I try to change the ‘Jump Z Velocity’ from 420 to 900, upon enter it changes to 9.0, and then I try again, it does change to 900, but when I click ‘Compile’, it changes to 90000.0 cm/s.
Please do tell me how do I go around this and keep my desired number?
I have a video recorded of the behaviour but don’t know how to get it here.

Ok, just discovered that it adds two zeroes after whatever number I set. So I just inserted 9, and compiled, and then it changed to 900

Hey @Wolfy_Royal!

You can upload to youtube with it labeled “Unlisted” so it can’t be searched, and then post the link here. That’s what most do!

Otherwise, pictures, pictures, pictures! A screenshot is worth a thousand words and it’s likely just a simple code mishap. :slight_smile: Maybe check on the event graph but also the Construction script graph!

Get us some more info and let’s squash that bug!

Hi @Mind-Brain, thanks for the fast reply.
I do work as tester and screenshots are main things I use just that for this case video was needed, however, little slow to remember to put it on YT, I guess because I wanted to find solution / workaround for the problem and can’t stay put until I found it. That’s why I sounded like panicked.

Link to the video:

So the issue here is that the engine is not being consistent with the variable unit.

Initially you have 50000 cm/s.
When you type 500, the engine remembers you were in cm/s, but chooses to display it as m/s, so you end up with 5 m/s which is the same as 500 cm/s. You have the right value but not displayed in the original unit, so that’s confusing.
Then you type 500 again, the engine remembers that you are now in m/s, since it’s the new unit it choosed, so now you end up with 500 m/s which is 50000 cm/s.
When you compile the engine realise it shouldn’t have ever switched to m/s so it converts the value back to 50000 cm/s (same as 500 m/s), so the value didn’t change in reality.

I think that’s a bug that should be raised to Epic, basically the issue is that the engine switches to m/s after the first edit and only goes back to the proper unit after compile. It should always display as cm/s in that case, otherwise you get the issue that you have where inputing 500 twice will lead to two different value.

Hope that makes sense. You can report the issue here: https://unrealbugsubmissions.epicgames.com/s/?language=en_US&token=J3ikc3nt9y1pvlaRrT4z9iOvdylQdS967McJ

Feel free to link this thread and my message if you think it makes sense. You should include your video which displays the issue quite well.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the explanation, that was a nice catch with the units.

I did raise the bug on epic via the provided link.

Hope it helps them and it will be resolved soon.

1 Like

Thank you for submitting the bug :slight_smile:
If you issue is resolved you mark one of our last comment as the answer to close the topic.

2 Likes

Oh no problem at all. I always report things like this to many places. I guess the QA in me must do it. Also, I have such a huge respect for Epic that I’d do it in a beat to help become as flawless as possible.

I will mark it as resolved as soon as I get an answer from Epic, so I put the link here in case someone else stumbles on this and wants to know. I mean, is that ok or? Otherwise, I’ll mark as resolved on the previous comment where the explanation is.

1 Like