Joining two assets?

When importing my guns into UE5 it makes the gun and magazine two separate meshes, my question is how can I connect these in game and be able to use my reloading animations. I’ve tried connecting it through the gun socket which works for one gun but I’m not sure how I can do that with different magazines for each gun. I’ve also tried connecting it in blender, but when I do the animation will not work.

Hey mckayfitzl,

There are a few ways you can go about this, and the right solution for you is going to depend on what features you want to create.

I recommend you create a parent class for gun and a parent class for magazines then set socket nodes on the skeletal meshes of your guns and magazines. Attach the magazine to the gun via socket node, then detach and attach to hand during reload, then vice versa. You can use anim notifies to trigger the attach/detach logic. You can use a similar system for other weapon attachments and store data in the attachments themselves, making your gun system fully modular should you so choose.

You will have to create sockets on your weapons assuming they have different skeletons, which I’d imagine they do. Please refer to this documentation if you would like to see examples of how to use sockets.

Please let me know if this helps!

This helps a lot thanks!