Since I’ve not heard from you in a while I’m going to mark this as resolved for our tracking purposes. If you are still having the issue and wish for me to take a look at the asset to reproduce on my end feel free to use one of the methods above.
Have you tried looking at the raw .fbx animations preimport? Those are under Source/Animations. Those aren’t jittery for me when I import them into a modeling package. One thing I noticed is in 3ds max b_LeftAnkle does jerk forward a tiny bit for some reason but other than that is mostly fine. In persona, however, I can see b_LeftAngle actually jittering around the z axis a bit towards the end of the Thing_JitteryTest animation. I then exported that out back to fbx from the engine and imported that into 3ds max, and I saw that it too showed the strange jitteryness. And it was mostly around both ankle bones while other bones looked fine. I was looking at the transform gizmos of the bones with them selected while local coord space mode was on and saw the gizmos twisting a bit, while in the source anims they weren’t. The gizmos showed no jitteryness on the foot offset bones themselves, only on the ankle bones. In my mesh, the offset bones shouldn’t even affect any vertices since I only use the offset bones to help with IK. And this jerkiness only seems to start when a certain set of bones begins animating, like the lower portion of the creature’s body with the legs. Only arms moving wasn’t affecting the ankles.
I made sure to do the whole export process from scratch from the original .max file and made sure my skeletal animations are exported using FBX2014.
Could it be that there’s an issue with the importer because it seems like the jitteryness only occurs in the animation after going through the import process? It may be a problem on my end, but it’s hard to say what could be the cause at the moment since I’m following all the recommended mesh export tips.
Oh and thanks a lot for looking at this so far! Especially if it is all my fault
Would you be able to upload the Max file and save it as 2013 version with all the animations. I’m really not an animation expert and I can’t get the fbx animations to show the skeleton when I import which is what I need to look at.
I’m not completely convinced this would be an import issue as I believe there would be many more issues like this popping up in our bugs sections.
This may be some work but would you be able to make a new skeleton and retarget the animations to that to see if that resolves the issue?
Thanks for all your help as well while I’m looking into this.
Yeah I’ll try that tonight. It could be happening for other people as well, but it’s very hard to notice this tiny little jitteryness problem so no one’s reporting it. It took me a while to notice it myself.
If you look at my source .fbx anims in 3ds max, all the exported stuff is initially hidden, which I guess is because it was hidden at the time I was exporting the data. In 3ds max I right click and unhide all to show the bones again, if that’s what you meant by not being able to show the skeleton.
So, for me I import an fbx file into 3ds max under file → import. Then I right click and select unhide all. If you hit the H key, it should bring up a scene outliner with a bunch of objects that are marked as not visible. This should only be a problem for the source .fbx files.