I've got a potentially great strategy to make game development possible. I'd love some feedback!

Let me start by saying that I’m a perfectionist at heart. It has it’s pros and it’s cons, but most certainly many, many pros when it comes to creating ideas and executing them to the fullest. I’ve grown up playing videogames. I’ve played the majority of the games out there. I give any type of game a chance. This has helped me understand what people like about certain types of games and what makes a game worthwhile in any type of way. I’m very diverse and open minded. I personally feel that I have an enormous amount potential to make great games, but life has made this dream stay a dream, so far. It truly is a gift to be able to create and bring to life what you envision in your mind, but I feel as if it’s way too hard to essentially get started on the actual path of the creation of one’s game idea (just like so many other things in life, unfortunately). It’s a tight-knit industry, and people have worked very hard to get to the point they’re at in it, so it is indeed a challenge to get one’s game idea developed and into the public’s hands. Thankfully, Epic Games has made it drastically easier for the public to make a game of their desires, but this is still a great challenge due to time, money, and life in general as society is today. Even with a truly revolutionary game idea, it’s still nearly impossible for the common man to get a game developed without a ton of money, a great amount of experience in various fields, and sheer dedication. In this type of situation you must work smarter, not harder if you want to avoid 1, maybe 2, of those 3 requirements. First and foremost, a ton of money. Let’s be real. Most of us do not have that kind of money to realistically get any type of development to happen. Second, great knowledge of game development. A lot of us are struggling just to keep a roof over our heads and food in our mouths, so going to school or doing home research/hands on can seem impossible to pursue this as a career or even a side project/hobby, which in turn makes the dream seem hopeless. So here’s the big question… Is there a solution?! There’s always a solution. Keep your eye on the prize and don’t live and think the way society wants you to. Grow some balls and do what you gotta do in order to make your dream become a reality!

Here’s my solution… Get creative and simply create, present, repeat. Repeat until you have enough following, impact on the public, and vision of the game to eventually take it to public funding. This entails creating environments, assets, lore scripts, pages of character detail, weapon detail, etc… Basically, anything and everything to try and get your game idea envisioned by the public. You can even find images on google for examples, ask freelancer artists to do a little work for a little money so you can really get your point across. It may require a little bit of spending over time to buy assets and so forth, and potentially a great deal of time before it makes a big enough of an impact to make **** happen, but if the idea is truly good enough and the plan of execution is valid, there are most certainly devs out there that are willing to come on board via royalties. The vision and intelligence behind the idea must be entirely true, or else people will not want to join forces with you. It’s an ambitious strategy in many different ways, but if one truly does have that revolutionary great game idea, can portray a great amount of detail of how things will function, look, etc., and a massive amount of dedication, people will most definitely want to see it be made. People will pay for it to be made.

It’s time for me to go pick up the kids, but I really hope that I can get some good feedback regarding this post. This is what I will be doing for my game idea in my spare time if the feedback is positive. I’ll be back in a few to discuss this topic! I appreciate everyone’s time!

The best way to get people to want to work on your project with you with little to no pay is to be an experienced professional yourself. Most people lack the drive to keep themselves and a group of people motivated to work for free and it’s difficult to convince people to work on a project if you aren’t going to be putting in as much work as they are. If you’re a professional in the industry then you either know some people that you can try to get to help out or at the very least it’s easier to present your skill which will give them more confidence in the project.

I agree entirely. This is a map I’ve created using free assets from demos to try and portray an example of what my ideal type of map would be in my game. I have learned a ton by doing so, but my point is that if you keep creating and presenting, you’re not only revealing to the public of what your game will be like, but you’re also learning more and more each time, which will in turn make you a viable partner to work with, and that is 100% necessary when you’re not drowning devs with money that you don’t have. You also have the chance at portraying your visions with much more accuracy by creating it yourself.

It’s easy to have a great idea for a game. It’s extremely hard to execute that idea and ship a game. Until you have proven you can do the hard part, you will have a very difficult time convincing people to work for little/nothing on your idea.

This pretty much sums it up.

Well yeah I agree with you guys… Not to be rude at all but the replies so far seem to be a bit irrelevant since that was already covered. This post was more aimed towards the possible execution of getting a game idea into development with the resources and technology currently available. I wanted to discuss alternate routes of game development and to think outside of the box of what can be done for a better chance of success. Either way, I look forward to the journey.

Honestly it doesn’t matter if you can get your idea across to people, there’s plenty of failed kickstarters with good ideas. It’s much more important whether you can execute any idea than the idea itself.

In a way, it’s early form of marketing and you can learn a lot from it, build up an audience, and have a much better understanding about the outcome of the decisions you make in the future. That is the sole purpose of feedback, so I must disagree that it does not matter. Though, I do agree that it is much more important to execute the idea than the idea itself (which is what I’ve been implying), considering the fact that there are so many simplistic, linear, and way too original games constantly being released these days.

I think it’s interesting to discuss this but I think it might be best not to start off with a completely original idea or something completely new. In my opinion, it’s probably best to start small and use one’s creativeness on smaller things first instead of a big idea. Create things people have already done and show creativeness in the approach instead.

I think a good example of that is No One Lives Forever which was game of the year back in 2001 or 2002. It’s a simple FPS which was nothing new and many have done numerous times before, but they approached it in a different way. It wasn’t all about just shooting people, it’s a spy game where you try to be stealthy too. Also the levels were extremely creative, there are levels were you are falling from a plane and still trying to shoot the bad guys chasing you; levels where you go to outer space; levels where you’re trying to recover stuff from a ship that sank and have to fight off sharks, etc.

Anyway, that’s probably what most of the more experienced game devs mean about execution. It’s better to be creative in the execution of simple ideas because a simple idea executed well can make a fun and amazing game whereas a great idea executed poorly would just be boring and a let down. Being able to show you can execute well will help others have more confidence in whatever ideas you may have in the future. I think that’s also why it’s important to start small because it’d be faster to execute. :stuck_out_tongue:

If we are talking about royalty based development I would be more interested in a lot of short development cycle games in a short period of time than a longer cycle development plan with intentions of AAA production values.

It’s just the way the free market works that it takes the experience of failure to learn what it takes to make a game that others will buy or make lots of games that one could make a good living off of residuals from a back catalogue of released titles.

Ravio is a good example of releasing I believe 54 titles before hitting big with Angry Birds and one has to ask was it luck or a case of progressive planning?

Facts being facts though is games development is not a unique snowflake in the world of development of anything and it’s an interesting read of developers who look at their works as products to be sold rather than art in motion built on 100% wishful thinking and stories of failure is of more value than stories of success.

Here’s the problem. The market is saturated with ‘revolutionary great ideas’, but most of the time the projects fail. The Kickstarter bubble has burst now and people won’t just throw money at an idea without a proven track record of delivery on the part of the creators.

If you’re only paying royalties, then you’re not going to get professionals with a proven track record. You’ll get enthusiastic amateurs whose ‘massive dedication’ will disappear within a few months of working for nothing when they have bills to pay.

Don’t want to be a downer on your obvious enthusiasm but you need to be realistic. If you have a grand idea for a game, do not start making it. Learn the craft first with smaller, less ambitious titles and prove to yourself and potential partners that you can finish something.

Thanks for all the great replies, guys! You can’t deny that focusing on the smaller projects first is definitely the way to go. I was simply trying to discuss alternate methods of game development besides the obvious and common paths, so I appreciate the various responses. I’ve already started on other smaller projects to learn everything I can, but I have a business in real estate, so my primary plan is to eventually rack enough $ and knowledge up over the time and really give my main project a fighting chance. Star Citizen really inspired me, but over all the failed Kickstarter campaigns compared to 1 extremely successful one shows how careful and on point you must be.

Star Citizen was largely a successful crowdfunding campaign due to the credentials of the people involved, people wouldn’t give that much money to someone who didn’t have a lot of experience in game development already.

That’s a great point. As much as it has inspired me, I’m definitely not seeking the kind of money Star Citizen successfully acquired. I’m also going to learn a lot more and have my fair share of success and failures prior to even thinking about launching such a campaign.

Im awed by your enthusiasm, since i kinda gave up game development due to a lot of self failure i lost my drive after 2 years of unity/ue4/blender, mostly blender problems.
My dreams are only online games even tough thats a way too big target for any beginner and alone dev, i cant imagine making a game that you cant play with others.
Ive come to realize that i cant do all at the same time no matter how good i am, and even worse im not good at anything, im beginner/intermediate modeller in blender, low texturing skills and prety basic programming, but the worst must be the lack of animation tutorials/lessons for blender and animation in general.
Its so hard to rig,skin and animate anything successfully its killing me, this was the point where i tought id give up since i was going nowhere and its the most important part of the game, with crappy skining or animations you dont have a game.

Id love to work with others on a game but im usually pretty picky about the genre and the user/game interaction model.
Im mostly interested in adult videogames, action packed harder to play with deeper story/adventure, darker kind of games.

Id love to see what other people are working on, there should be more collaborative groups out there it feels a bit too much “every man for himself” which is sad and wrong for game deving.