I've got a platform extension I'd like to ship, what's the best way to do this?

Hey guys, so I’ve got a custom platform extension for UE5 that I’d like to distribute.

Now my question is how to do this optimally and legally?

Ideally, I’d like to just distribute as a plugin but looks like platforms are hard coded in the UnrealBuildTool, for instance, the Hololens PE has a plugin but it’s also hardcoded in the UBT as seen in the attached picture. There does not seem to be a way to load a platform extension completely from a plugin, meaning a platform extension other than those preexisting would require a custom source build.

However, I’ve just noticed the Switch and other console are not listed there… do they require custom engine builds as well or can they be added as plugins, and if so how?

So anyway, what I’m currently doing is just building an installed build of the engine with my platform extension and that works fine, other than the fact users now have to download a few gb that should be unnecessary and I’ve yet to find a good way to distribute (legally anyway, as apparently I can’t just provide a zip).

In the FAQs for Unreal, it does say that there are two ways to distribute a custom engine build, either via forking on github or via the marketplace.

Are there any examples of custom Unreal editors on the marketplace?